Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife found a bolt head on the garage floor where I park. It's a 13mm stamped 8.6. I'm pretty sure it is one of the exhaust manifold bolts since everything underneath looks bigger or smaller. I don't see one obviously missing but I can't tear it apart right now. Can't see more till the heat shield cools. Can anyone confirm that's what they are? How serious is one bad bolt, from ignore to urgent?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Maybe it's from your lawnmower.
Or a bicycle.
Or it was stuck in your tread when you pulled in.
Or it vibrated loose from your garage door opener.
Or the neighbor kids were throwing bolt heads (it's all the new rage) and one ended up in your garage.

Or maybe it fell off of her car.

Sorry. All I can really say is "good luck finding a bolt missing a head".

What in the world makes you think its from the exhaust manifold? That sounds about as random as anything I've ever heard in my life. You said 'everything underneath is bigger or smaller". You've looked at every foreseeable fastener on your truck except for the manifold and deduced that's where it came from?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well sorry I keep such a fookin' clean garage, or that I think some part from the floor looks like another part on the truck or that a garage door opener doesn't have hardened 13mm bolts on it. It was too small to be suspension and too big to be for a bracket. No, not a lot of the bolts on the truck were 13mm and even less are hardened and rusty looking.

So after a few hours it's cool and I took off the heat shields. The manifold is in fact missing two bolt heads, one at the very front and one at the very back. Thanks for the snark, but yeah, I looked at it and deduced the problem. Google's got plenty of answers for pulling the old bolts, I'll just take it there.

·
SOLD!!!
4,508 Posts
Maybe it's from your lawnmower.
Or a bicycle.
Or it was stuck in your tread when you pulled in.
Or it vibrated loose from your garage door opener.
Or the neighbor kids were throwing bolt heads (it's all the new rage) and one ended up in your garage.

Or maybe it fell off of her car.

Sorry. All I can really say is "good luck finding a bolt missing a head".

What in the world makes you think its from the exhaust manifold? That sounds about as random as anything I've ever heard in my life. You said 'everything underneath is bigger or smaller". You've looked at every foreseeable fastener on your truck except for the manifold and deduced that's where it came from?
Maybe this is all that you should have said. Knowing this gentleman, if he thought that the bolt head came from his truck, my money would have been on him.

And by the way Tim, we have a meet coming up. Join us if you can. http://www.355nation.net/forum/west/101522-pnw355-portland-meet-03-29-14-a.html#post2878986

1 - 6 of 6 Posts