Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the market for a portable navi unit. I was looking at the garman 650. But from what I'm reading this unit only has the ability to put in one waypoint. So saying for a say 800 mile trip the only points you can put in are the start and end, nothing else in between. I would think that would be something that one would need. Now please understand I'm TOTALLY new to the navi scene so please help this noobie out. Any advice or direction would be great.

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
your right you can only put in point A to point B, but as you are driving you can locate POI's (points of interest) ie. resurants, hotels, attrections, gas stations, any where that you would want to go and still maintain your course.

you cant however preplan your course ie. go 50 stop at a certain resturant then gas, go aonther 100 miles stop at your favorite rest stop.

if you have any more specific questions just ask.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Same with my tomtom... 1 point @ a time... but you can locate things and then just re-enter (its saved in recent destinations to save the steps of re-typing) the address and go from where your at before you leave.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm not a total noobie to the GPS world. I've used one when I was in the military. But the military ones you could program multiple waypoints and go point to point. Are all of the personel units just point A. to B.??? Or would you be able to get one different??

Have either of you guys played with the 650??

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
all gps now days are point A to point B

yes i have played with the 650. its a nice unit. large screen, lots of POI's, very user friendly, built in mp3 player (which honestly it is garbage)and its garmin. they do make the best gps systems out there.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I guess what I"m trying to figure out now is would I benifit from going up to the 660 or higher or are all the other bells and whistles just that?? Your thoughts??

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
With mine I know I opted out of the bells and whistles because i've got all the "features" in my other devices.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So I guess what I"m trying to figure out now is would I benifit from going up to the 660 or higher or are all the other bells and whistles just that?? Your thoughts??
Compare the 650 and 660 online and go from there. I have a Nuvi 360 and the only difference from the 350 was the bluetooth capabilities. Other than that, I agree garmin makes some really good gps units. Nuvi all the way!

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
the differant between the 650 and the 660 is the 660 has bluetooth and its about 100 bucks more

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well from what I'm seeing the only real differences between the 650 and 660 are the FM transmitter and bluetooth. Not all of my vehicles have bluetooth so that might be a plus but not sure. So would the transmitter and the bluetooth be worth the extra $200.00??

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
no no bluetooth as in your if your phone is bluetooth capalbe then you can link your phone to the gps. you can call someone or recieve calls via your gps.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
if u go with garmin. ur going good. i got the garmin 330i.. its an old one.. and it still kicks ass..

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no no bluetooth as in your if your phone is bluetooth capalbe then you can link your phone to the gps. you can call someone or recieve calls via your gps.
Right I understand that (and both my wife and myself have bluetooth phones) but with having that feature and the FM transmitter is it really worth spending the extra monies??

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Right I understand that (and both my wife and myself have bluetooth phones) but with having that feature and the FM transmitter is it really worth spending the extra monies??
No. $20 says you'll end up turning off sound and voice navigation anyways... they talk to much IMO. :)

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
like ZNA said no

if bluetooth is something your interested in then get a piece that goes in your ear for like $40. the bluetooth isnt that clear any way. a lot of static and echoing.

go with the 650 you'll be happy.

the 330 isnt old is just

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got a mio C220 Digiwalker and I do believe I can put in multiple waypoints. It doesn't have bluetooth, or mp3, just a basic gps but just playing with it around here it's nice, and it recalculates really fast IMO, then again it's my first one, but for around $200 I think it's a nice little unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts