Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, long story, but I need a crankshaft and bearing kit for an I5 (L52) engine. This is for an '04 Colorado. Ours has several broken teeth on the reluctor wheel. I really don't want to buy a complete engine if I don't have to. Any sellers or general guidance are appreciated. Thanks

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Being the motor will have to be removed from the truck(labor cost), then the engine torn down and parts replaced(more labor cost) and then reinstall the motor(again more labor) this all on top of parts cost and shop material cost..........it will be cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You can’t just replace a crank. It will need balanced with the current pistons/rods. So complete tear down, and then take it to a machine shop. And there is no way I’d reassemble it without having the deck surfaced, and the cylinders deglazed for a new set of piston rings.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Rock auto has bearing kits. Probably crank too.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Guys, long story, but I need a crankshaft and bearing kit for an I5 (L52) engine. This is for an '04 Colorado. Ours has several broken teeth on the reluctor wheel. I really don't want to buy a complete engine if I don't have to. Any sellers or general guidance are appreciated. Thanks
Hope you understand we are providing you with the most cost effect fix.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
If he can do all the labor himself it'd be cheaper to rebuild. I came out about 1700ish on my bored over 3.7. That was with buying a head and complete rebuild of the bottom end.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
I agree with you there Shaun...........but time will tell here

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. Been on vacation the last week or so, so I haven't had time to check back in. The labor on this deal is being handled by the Tech Ed Center. At my kids school. I'm in for parts only. Kids truck for those that have seen me post before. Would buy a new crankshaft, but GM is in the midst of a vendor change and apparently no one has new crank in stock... Anyway... Even a SPAC search though the local dealers has everyone holding on to what they have. If I could find a crank that just needed a little machining, I could get by, but the broken reluctor wheel teeth is what's causing me the problem...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts