Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cd player in my truck will not accept CDs at all! I think I'm going to get an aftermarket one but do not have any idea what to look for. I do know I want one that has an aux port but other than that, the cheaper the better! Anyone have any suggestions on one or things I need to look for in order to make sure it fits my truck?

Thanks in advance!

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Check the classifieds.

Jeff had a nice JVC for sale with everything you needed to just drop it in the truck for cheap.

Also, welcome!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the classifieds.

Jeff had a nice JVC for sale with everything you needed to just drop it in the truck for cheap.

Also, welcome!
Will do! Thanks!

Also, will getting an aftermarket cd player affect the security system for the truck? Does all of that run through the radio?

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
That's what the chime box is for. Jeff's comes with it, it'l cost you $50 if you have to buy it alone elsewhere to make everything work. So that makes his asking price pretty cheap IMO. You just plug and play and you're done.

If I needed a stereo, I would have already bought it because I used to have one just like it.

As a sidenote, you can certainly buy another factory stereo and put in your truck, but you'll have to go to the dealer and have it unlocked. Each stereo is VIN matched to the vehicle it goes in. So if I took the factory stereo out of my truck, it wouldn't work in yours unless the garage hooks up thier scanner and unlocks it to work with your truck. You're looking at $30-$40 just for that service to have another factory stereo.

·
Registered
484 Posts
That's what the chime box is for. Jeff's comes with it, it'l cost you $50 if you have to buy it alone elsewhere to make everything work. So that makes his asking price pretty cheap IMO. You just plug and play and you're done.

If I needed a stereo, I would have already bought it because I used to have one just like it.
So, when I put my HU in Ill ned a chime box? What is that? And is that something a stereo shop would have in stock?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Or search this site for "RAP" mod. Yes, the shops have that box in stock most of the time, or they are available online from most everyplace that you would order your HU from. It's a common product for GM Vehicles.

The RAP mod allows you to properly wire the HU but with no more chimes. RAP is what allows you to keep the radio playing until the doors open.

The chime box is the wire harness necessary to connect the stereo to maintain the factory chimes. Since your stock HU plays the chime through the speaker, that feature is eliminated when you replace the stereo. The new harness includes the harness in addition to a speaker to play the chimes for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts