Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how much a new tailgate costs?

That appears to be the only damage. The scars in the trailer hitch area were already there, although I might get that piece replaced while I'm at it.

Now's a perfect time to get a classic '56ish Chevrolet script plate on the back in place of the Colorado one! Found a few on eBay for $20 or so. I'm going to keep the SS one. There's a positive side to everything!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found one from carparts.com shipped for $105.52. Their shipping is under $22. Of course that's from a place that ships stuff like that regularly. I'd still have to get it painted. I'm hoping I can keep it under $200. The lady was nice, and I'm not going to be an ass about it, so I'll try to keep it off the insurance since she wants to pay it out of pocket. Everybody screws up, no point in rubbing salt in the wound.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Can't forget to add in paint. Since black is the hardest color to paint body shops charge a bit more. I had a hood painted a couple months ago and it came out to be $500 for the paint alone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That hasn't slipped my mind. I'm thinking about taking a day off next week and go to the local yard to see if there's anything in there.

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ouch, but glad to see you're working a deal. Good luck @ local salvage yards...they're a treasure trove and you might just hit the jackpot. I've always had good luck. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Let me guess... she was following much closer than she should have been.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch, but glad to see you're working a deal. Good luck @ local salvage yards...they're a treasure trove and you might just hit the jackpot. I've always had good luck. Cheers!
Yeah, luckily she does have insurance, so if she doesn't want to pay out of pocket we can handle it that way. I used to be a 12 volt jockey, so I know my way around a junk yard. That was my go to place when someone broke something on an install, or when removing a system. Hell, half the dash, and most of the lights, in my '91 S10 were from the junkyard.

Let me guess... she was following much closer than she should have been.
HAH! Naw man, I was PARKED! I was about to scarf down a big 'ol burrito at Taco Hell. But instead I watched someone back right into my truck. I ate that big burrito while I was waiting for the police officer to show up though...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good luck at the scrapyard, hope you find one that's not too beat up! I was gonna say that I have one I could let go for $75 to a Nation member, but we're across the country. Might want to look into getting the inner half sprayed with bedliner and the outer half your paint, while it's getting painted. Then again, those plastic ones are nice because you can't be too upset if you scratch it all up

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about that, but I think I'm just going to keep the plastic. No worries of scratching, and stuff slides off really easy. I'm headed to the body shop tomorrow to find out a price for painting.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
how about fixing the current one? I´ve seen worst damage fixed. probably will cost you less than getting another tailgate and anyway you will need to paint it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the dent isn't to bad I would have it pulled and use some plastic body filler to get it to factory shape and paint it I say this because I go to college to do this sort of thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And black is actually one of the easier colors to paint. It's just a more expensive paint as far a painting body shops have a set price for paint they don't charge extra for different paints because each part has a set commission for painting the guy who said they charge more for painting something black is just going off of the price of paint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also a good rule if thumb is for each fist (measuring the side of your hand in a fist) it takes to cover the dent is an hour of dent repair meaning it will take an hour to fix a dent the size of the side of your fist.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Oh I retract my earlier statement, if someone else is at fault get a new tailgate. I thought you backed into something and were looking to save some coin.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Oh I retract my earlier statement, if someone else is at fault get a new tailgate. I thought you backed into something and were looking to save some coin.
I think the OP is trying to cut the woman some slack by getting it repaired without breaking her wallet. She doesn't want to report the accident to her insurance company.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the OP is trying to cut the woman some slack by getting it repaired without breaking her wallet. She doesn't want to report the accident to her insurance company.
Yes, this. She was nice enough to offer, and we both got what we wanted. I'm happy. I'm sure she's not happy to be out $300, but it's better than having your insurance go up.

If the lady was eating at Taco-Bell chances are she doesn't have insurance.
I was eating Taco Smell, and I have insurance...

I did ask if she had any before I called the police. If I didn't call them to report it, then I basically have no protection once my insurance bills her insurance for the repair (or however that works). BUT, she made good on it. I got the check this afternoon and cashed it. We use the same bank so it went though immediately. So now all is well, and I'm ordering a tailgate in a few minutes. I had to stop in here to see if anyone else had one to offer before I drop a bill on the new one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts