Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cheap way of getting one is modifying a Silverado one. It works with a heat gun and some self tapping screws or whatnot. I wanted something cleaner, and someone offers them, not too many people know about. Click the link and scroll to the bottom. Yes you have to pay to play. If you can make it cheaper go for it, but having made them myself for a while its a lot of sanding and this is just an easier alternative.

Enjoy. He also makes gauge clusters for our trucks where factory speedo/tach is but can accommodate them anywhere if you ask ( below hvac trim etc )

CHEVROLET - Ortiz Custom Pods

wait time for me at the time of ordering was around 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I opted to go with his other gauge cluster he offers off the pillar. quality was great, no imperfections, arrived well packaged.

with gauges

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
Yea, I have both, pod and pillar, ready to install next week. I like the quality and it's made for direct OEM-like replacement. Wiring the gauges is the only tough part. I can't wait.
Your gauges are more hardcore than mine. I just have tran temp, oil temp, volt gauge and clock. Take pics, please, when you get it installed

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
I just came from my mechanic. The cluster pod does no work easily with column shifter. My mechanic is altering the column shifter to clear the gauge, but I am not exactly sure how they are gonna do it. My mechanics are old school pro fabricators so they do not get deterred easily. I'll post up pics and description of the solution when I get my truck back.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interested to see pictures, also what gauge is there? As I know aem uego is extra deep because of the removable faceplate trim

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
The gauge is from MaxTow.com

My mechanic said the column shifter hit the pod without the gauge in it. Now the mechanic is installing it with a visor/bezel thing over the gauge, so I am really curious how they are going to pull it off.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
My mechanic said the column shifter hit the pod without the gauge in it. Now the mechanic is installing it with a visor/bezel thing over the gauge, so I am really curious how they are going to pull it off.

So the piece itself doesn't clear the shifter even without a gauge installed?
Maybe whoever designed the thing had a manual-trans truck to work with when he made his prototype..

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
I'm trying to picture in my mind where the column shift would interfere. Does it hit in the front or the rear of the gauge?

hmm... good question and I can't answer it cuz I dunno. Yesterday afternoon, I had to drop off my French plate kit at my mechanics when they told me about this issue. I didn't get too detailed about either the exact contact point or their exact plan to resolve it besides bending the shifter arm.

As far as the pod being designed for a manual tran truck. True that.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm seems weird. i would think it would hit the outside of the bezel as well.....

mine are recessed enough i dont see it being a problem, but then again mines still not installed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I saw the one in the for sale section and ended up finding Ortiz through google searching. Wish I'd seen this thread before I spent the time searching. :p

If I only needed 2 extra gauges, I'd be all over these. It's a much nicer look than a pillar pod, but I think I'm going to go a 3rd route when the time comes. I'm looking at a digital multi-gauge that I'll be trying to fit into the radio/hvac/traction control bezel for the ~4 gauges that I need.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the gauge on the left is a scan gauge. will show you two parameters at a time of anything off of the obd2 port. they sell a dual setup which i had in my previous vehicle. i also needed a wideband too though. so just went for one and one this time around. might change in the future though. will see where i go with the build.

·
Registered
153 Posts
the gauge on the left is a scan gauge. will show you two parameters at a time of anything off of the obd2 port. they sell a dual setup which i had in my previous vehicle. i also needed a wideband too though. so just went for one and one this time around. might change in the future though. will see where i go with the build.
That's interesting. I can't get everything I need from the OBD2 port, but that might make it possible. I'll have to look into it further. I will need AFR, EGT, IAT, and Boost PSI. I could probably get IAT and possibly manifold pressure for the boost gauge from the OBD2 port. I'm pretty sure I can't get away with OBD2 on the AFR and EGT. IIRC, the AFR you get from the OBD2 port is commanded AFR and not actual AFR, and there isn't an EGT sensor stock. I haven't seen anything really in combo gauges in the traditional 2" round form factor, but I haven't looked that much.

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts

Mechanic is still working on it. Wiring things up now. Mechanic says he cut it, bent it, and welded it. He says it's about an inch shorter. I suppose he shortened it so he could bend it to the angle it needs to clear the bezel.
The pic was taken at the shop and isn't the best angle, but I will take more when I get my truck back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts