Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was advised by NTB when they did my brakes that both my inner and outter tie rods on both the driver and passenger sides need to be replaced. They want $670 to replace em all, is that about right or am i getting the business. I assumed I could find someone on here and it would cost me half that or less. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
I just replaced outters, still need to do inners. There is really nothing to it other than getting them set back where they were. If you have someone to help it's fairly easy to align yourself or you can get it close and have an alignment shop dial it in. I wouldn't pay them labor to replace them though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The outers are super easy and the inners won't be any more difficult. save yourself the money and do them yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Take it to a 2nd shop for a 2nd opinion. That's how you know if the labor/parts totals are accurate.

Don't forget that after replacing parts you'll probably need an alignment. If you don't do all the work together, you will either have to deal with tire wear, or multiple alignments.
Just something to think about in the overall bill. spreading the work out over time either results in new tires needed, or several alignments. Or one stop shopping, done and over with.

To replace the outers, make sure to count the turns it takes to remove the outers. Then turn the new ones on the same number of turns. That way they are in the same position reducing the immediate need for alignment.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
Count the turns? Do you know how much the wheel is affected by even 1/2 turn? When I reset mine I strapped a board that overhangs a few inches to each side to each tire, straight across the hub, with it completely horizontal, put a tape measure across the front 2 boards against the tire, and one across the back and match it up with the steering straight . That's the easiest and closest way I have found to do it at home. Some measure off tread but it's harder to get accurate esp with mud tires

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Count the turns? Do you know how much the wheel is affected by even 1/2 turn? When I reset mine I strapped a board that overhangs a few inches to each side to each tire, straight across the hub, with it completely horizontal, put a tape measure across the front 2 boards against the tire, and one across the back and match it up with the steering straight . That's the easiest and closest way I have found to do it at home. Some measure off tread but it's harder to get accurate esp with mud tires
But if you unscrew the tierod 12 turns and put it back on with 12 turns, isn't that the same?

I've personally never replaced a tie rod (or end), but that's that I've seen done many moons ago.

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
But if you unscrew the tierod 12 turns and put it back on with 12 turns, isn't that the same?

I've personally never replaced a tie rod (or end), but that's that I've seen done many moons ago.
That's how Izzy did mine and I drove for it like that for a week before I could get into the alignment shop. It drove straight with no pulling/drifting to either side. :shrug:

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
It works to get you by but you can get it much closer in other ways. On my 35"s one full turn on the inner rod moves the front/back of the tire prolly .75", doesn't take but a slight difference and you are eating up tires. Alignment for my truck runs about $100 with big wheels so I don't take it in more than I have to

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
Yeah, tire diameter plays a big part. My 20s are much smaller than your tires. I've also been very fortunate with alignments. This was the first time my alignment was adjusted in over 100k miles. I've been going in for free alignment checks at least once a year and they tell me no adjustment needed. This last one only cost $45

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus using the crappy AutoGuide.com free app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts