Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys i just got an aftermarket headunit for my rado, i have read a couple different things when it comes to hooking up an aftermarket radio. One said you can just wire it in and you will just lose the chime and warning chimes (which i dont really care about) the other said if you dont use the gmrc-01 adapter you will throw codes and all that, can anyone please help me out thanks guys

P

·
0 Posts
You can go to wal-mart and by the module to keep the chime for like $40 if the chime is important to you, i personally have the module with the chime with an alpine radio installed and its not bad at all, i dont know that you would throw a code, like i said all you would loose is the chime when your door is open, headlights are left on when truck is off and things like that. I hate the factory chime, it comes out of your speakers and it is anoying as hell. Hope this helps. :355:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I had my first head unit wired in with no adapter. It worked fine, no chimes, no codes, no problem. My dad and I wired it up. For my dvd though I had them put the adapter in and I got my chimes back from the front driver speaker. If it is codes you are worried about than you have nothing to fear, shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so basically if i get home tonight i can pop out the stock deck hard wire the new harness into the truck and plug my kenwood cd player in and the only thing i will lose is my door chimes, correct? so i dont need the cheap walmart one or even the 100 dollar one from circuit city? has anyone else done a hard wire in and not had any problems, my truck doesnt have onstar or anything special like that i have xm but the free 3 months expired already, so if im just going to lose my chime its not big deal to me

P

·
0 Posts
ok so basically if i get home tonight i can pop out the stock deck hard wire the new harness into the truck and plug my kenwood cd player in and the only thing i will lose is my door chimes, correct? so i dont need the cheap walmart one or even the 100 dollar one from circuit city? has anyone else done a hard wire in and not had any problems, my truck doesnt have onstar or anything special like that i have xm but the free 3 months expired already, so if im just going to lose my chime its not big deal to me
Yup, just loosing the chime, that is all, MC has his hard wired, he has had no problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys i really appreciate it, im still alittle weary about doing it, if something does happen can i just pop the stock radio back in and take it to the dealer? so if you can run it without the chime module why do people spend the money to buy it? seems a little wierd to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup, just loosing the chime, that is all, MC has his hard wired, he has had no problems.
Um. I didn't hardwire anything. I bought the harness without the chime adapter, I don't like the stupid chimes.

ok guys i really appreciate it, im still alittle weary about doing it, if something does happen can i just pop the stock radio back in and take it to the dealer? so if you can run it without the chime module why do people spend the money to buy it? seems a little wierd to me.
I would recommend against hardwiring anything, a factory plug is there for quick disconnect and ease of use. But, it's whatever you want to do. No, you won't throw any codes, and no, you won't have any difficulty if you do hardwire, but I'd still pay the $15 and buy the universal GM harness from Wal*Mart or something, just so you have the luxury of plug and play.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah im going to buy the universal gm harness, i was planning on doing that, just didnt feel like spending that much money on a chime module, you mind me asking what year your truck is? and if its not an 07 any idea if they changed anything?

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's an '06. They've changed quite a bit, but the radio wiring wasn't one of them. Personally, I can see the chimer feature being nice if you leave your lights on...but with the auto on system, I can count the number of times I've actually "turned on" the lights on one hand. You'll be fine with the non chime harness dude, there's no reason to spend money on the chime module, especially if you don't like it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also, you might have a hard time getting switched power. I believe the power windows fuse is what most people use.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
switched power? theres no switched power on the radio itself stock? that just seems silly, why would they do that? where did you run yours from mc?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ran mine from the window switch also. Just tap into the fuse block for it, there's a how to in the general section. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so basically you just ran a wire hooked to the power window fuse? theres no other wires you can tap into besides in the fuse block?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I ran a wire for switched power to the fuse for the power windows. This will turn the unit off/on with your key instead of having full power all the time. If you don't run a wire to an accessory that only receives power with the key on (a switched power source) then your headunit will remain on at all times, until you shut it off manually.

·
Registered
84 Posts
so basically you just ran a wire hooked to the power window fuse? theres no other wires you can tap into besides in the fuse block?
No, the stock radio has constant power so it can do the chimes. The data connection tells the radio when to come on and off. There isn't switched power in that harness at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so basically i just need to find a switched 12 volt source and the window fuse is what most people are using correct? thanks alot guys i really appreciate it

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
will that work if i already have power windows, or will i need to find a different location to tap into? or put a bigger fuse or something?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Others with power windows have used it without having to put in a bigger fuse. The radio draws very little current on the switched power input.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts