Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I've been doing a lot of research and I've been trying to find out what I need to lift my truck. Looked at the sky jacker 4" lift and a couple others. What would you recommend.

Here are some details about my truck:

2005 Chevy Colorado Z85 LS
2WD with Coil Over Spring

Looking to be able to have maybe some 17-18" rims.(Don't know what kind of lift I would need to put what kind of size)

Also I'm going more for the look I don't go off roading alot.

Let me know what I could do. Seems like there's so many things. Shackles, add a leaf, spindles, spacers. Your input will be very helpful thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The skyjacker lift is for torsion bar trucks only, your coil spring. I personally went with the CST 5 inch lift spindles and am running 32 inch tires, but could fit a 33 or 34 with the right backspacing. Also only the CST lift spindles will work for your truck, not the full CST 5 inch subframe lift which is also torsion bar trucks only.

There are basically 4 ways to lift the front of a coil spring truck.(not talking body lifts or custom)
1. 3 inch lift spindles(fab tech, or eBay knockoffs)
2. 2.5 inch Coil spring spacer(many companys make them, but Suspension Maxx has the best quality)
3. 2 inch Springtech coils.
4. 5 inch lift spindles( only made by CST)

Rear:
1. Add a leaf(you can stack aals for additional lift)
2. Shackles
3. Spring over axle conversion

As for tires and wheels, that depends on the lift.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does this sound right?

Cst 5" spindle
Sky jacker add a leaf
You are going to need a shackles in order to get level (suspsension Maxx makes adjustable ones), as the skyjacker aal is only a 2 1/2 inch lift.

Body lifts are easier to install, but they show a lot of frame. IMO, the trucks look better with more ground clearance, which a body lift does not give you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK so here it is. The list of what I'm going to put on let me know if this will work or look good. Any recommendations always great.

5" CST Suspension Lift w/ add a leaf $850
Maxx shackle lift shackles $100
Performance 1.5" body lift $200
17×9 Moto Metals
285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers $1200 rims and tires

Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks $45x4

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK so here it is. The list of what I'm going to put on let me know if this will work or look good. Any recommendations always great.

5" CST Suspension Lift w/ add a leaf $850
Maxx shackle lift shackles $100
Performance 1.5" body lift $200
17×9 Moto Metals
285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers $1200 rims and tires

Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks $45x4
You don't need new shocks for the front(unless you just want too)

Make sure the wheels have less than 4.5 inches of backspacing, and CST recommends no bigger than 8.5 inch wheels, but they should be ok as long as you do some slight trimming and have the proper backspacing.(someone else chime in if Im wrong)

CST recommends a 285/70/17 on their lift, so your good on tire size.

Also the CST aal is only a 1 inch lift, I would recommend going with the skyjacker.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK sounds good.

What would I need to trim?

And do you mean to get a skyjacker add a leaf for $99 or the full sky jacker leaf springs for $450.

If you could please send me a link to what you are referring to. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
You shouldn't need to trim anything.

How much lift you get any add a leaf depends on the current condition of your leaf springs

If they are worn and sagging then new leaf packs may be the way to go

what part of nor cal are you in?

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Also with 17s you can probably get away with 5" of backspace as CST recommends 4.75" of backspace with 16" wheels

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't know if they're sagging or not. Just got my 2005 Colorado 2 months ago. How could I tell?

In Concord near San Francisco Bay Area.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
You should join the local forum if you haven't already.... NorCal 355 Colorado/Canyon/I-Series Owners Club

We are having a meet in Bakersfield on Sunday( I know that is a long drive)... just letting you know in case you are interseted

are the leafs totally flat or W shaped?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts