Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been having quite the ordeal with replacing my BCM (Body Control Module) on my 2006 Chevy Colorado and I am looking for some advice/help from you all.

The BCM went bad on my truck so I called the dealer to get a new one and was told that the part was discontinued, so I looked elsewhere and everywhere I found that was able to get one, told me it was on backorder and I wouldn't get the part for a few months. This wasn't ideal as this is my only vehicle, so I went ahead and bought one for $100 on eBay. I matched the part number and made sure everything was correct, and had the dealer program it for me.

Here is where the issues start...I hadn't known that the BCM is what tracks the mileage of the vehicle, so I had brought my truck in to the dealer with 120k miles but now it is reading 191k miles. I am assuming that is how many miles were on the used one that I bought, but the dealer claims that when I brought it in the battery was dead so I am guessing they only took the mileage down after they installed the new BCM and battery, so they have no proof that I actually had 120k miles. CarFax states that when I got it inspected a year ago I had 117k miles so they understand that I wouldn't have be able to put 70k miles on the truck in only one year.

So I asked them to install my original BCM again to see if it would read my original mileage, and then I would wait for a new BCM so that when I install the new one, it would reflect my true mileage. They claim that they did this but it still read 191k miles, so I am stuck with how I would be able to get the truck to show my true mileage again. ANY recommendations would be very appreciated. I have read on other forums that you want to unplug the battery for about 10min to clear the memory of the old BCM, but the dealer refused and said that would not make a difference, so I am thinking about trying this myself in the dealer parking lot just so I can show them my true mileage. Again, not very sure if that will make a difference or not, but I could use some insight.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Why wouldn't they program in the correct mileage when they programed the replacement BCM? It sounds like they messed up and now don't want to reprogram the BCM and have a no labor charge [ I. E. they want you to pay for their screw up ] .Try asking another shop what should happen to the mileage when a replacement BCM is installed into a different vehicle .
I just had the opposite happen to me but it was what I wanted. To stop those TPMS messages I installed a 2006 cluster into my 2008 . The 06 cluster read 77,246 with the key in the on position , then when started it changed to my trucks current mileage 90,650. Proof the BCM stores the miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got management involved and they said they would reprogram it free of charge, however they say that they are unable to get it to read the correct mileage now. They tried to install the original BCM but say that it still reads the 191k miles which doesn't make any sense to me because like you said, the BCM stores the miles. I am thinking about just taking it to another shop because this dealer clearly doesn't know what they are doing.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think it would be in your best interest to find another shop and ask when a BCM is installed into a different vehicle can the mileage be adjusted to reflect the true mileage of the recipient vehicle when reprogramed. If they say yes it can you need to point this out to the dealer that said it can't be done and have them do it correctly for free or get a refund and go to another shop .They are making this harder than need be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I agree. They are definitely making this more difficult than it needs to be, I did get them to offer a full refund on labor costs since they didn't do the job correctly. So I think I will run with that and just take it to another shop.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That sounds best. Please update your resolution so others can learn from this experience and not have to go through something similar.(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I agree. They are definitely making this more difficult than it needs to be, I did get them to offer a full refund on labor costs since they didn't do the job correctly. So I think I will run with that and just take it to another shop.
Have you gotten a update because I too have the same exact issue. Except I plugged in the bcm myself and not it shows like 70k more miles then actually on truck! Let me know your results please

1 - 7 of 7 Posts