Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I have the harness in front of me + the radio. I know the 24 pin that comes with the GMOS kit plugs into the factory connector. My question is what connections do I make with all the wires that come out the 24 pin + all the other wires? If someone has done this before - and could give me a walkthrough, that would be AMAZING. I know I don't cut any wires in the factory wiring harness behind the radio, which means all these wires have to go somewhere and the instructions are vague! I'm around Orlando, Florida this week so anyone around that could help is greatly appreciated!

I think the issue is I have to connect wires from three connectors into one sort of deal?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I did my install using documents I got off of Crutchfield site and it worked fine for me. There may be something there that might give you what you are missing. Other than that, doubt I'll be much help from afar.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I used that harness once but had to replace it with something else. I know there were a bunch of wires, but I connected everything per the instructions.

Can you identify more about what your concerns are. You say the instructions are vague, but what about them leaves you confused? If memory serves, the wire color codes were a direct match. If there are no mating colors then maybe that feature/function isn't used. I haven't wired mine up for a couple of years so my memory is a bit rusty on that topic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I got somewhere with it. The wires from the new radio are colour coded to match the wires from the harness, just a matter of connecting them - what got me was that the front speakers pass through the GMOS box and the rear don't so I was confused why that was happening - I assume for the charm. I think I got it, I'll check out the crutchfield website.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So from the connector (24 pin) that would connect to the factory harness, I attach the power, ground, and rear speakers, and from the 16 pin I attach the front speakers? That's the direction I'm heading? Basically following the instructions - Im not too sure where I got confused so that doesn't help! I think it was that I have wires from the 24 + 16 pin going into the one connector to the new radio?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Looks like you're on it...certain functions have to run through the module to function/interface w/vehicle controls and some don't. Just keep reading and referencing your wiring diagrams and match things up appropriately...you'll get it. At first these harnesses and wiring schematics seem overwhelming, but after combing through them a couple of times they begin to make sense.

I like to lay everything out and match thing up so I have an idea on what goes where 1st and then start integrating into the vehicle. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The way that harness works is your chimes will still go through the driver door speaker. Other models include a new chime box. I prefer yours better. So I think like you said, the front door speaker is wired differently than the rears.

Confirm from the harness instruction that the wires are color coded that match each other. I thought they were, but again it's been over 2 years since I've looked. Just because the wires are purple does not necessarily mean they match up.

Good luck. A little time and patience and you'll knock it out!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to throw out there in case someone has an issue later-My GMOS-01 had a couple wires color coded wrong. i landed the green/purple stripe to my reverse wire in my radio and the orange dimmer to the dimmer on the deck(from the gmos box, not the 24 pin) and every time i put the truck in reverse, the radio would dim. Had to take that orange wire and land it to the reverse input(double din dvd player). For the price of this harness, it sure has been a pain...and crappy workmanship imo, but overall it gets the job done

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Good to know...it was probably "Made in China" where everything's a$$ backwards...;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts