Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got a check engine light on last week. I made an apt at the dealer and the reading came back extensive. Thermostat issues, improper coolant issues, abs sensor right front, left front, abs module failure. So I got quoted 1500 in repairs.

Thermostat got replaced $300 gone. But ABS module issues $1200. I'm holding on to doing this bc I'm unsure and lack of income. So what can people tell me about this, I'm just at a loss.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
$300 for a thermostat!!!! holy shit you got hosed.

It's a $15 part with 20 minutes of labor and $40 tops worth of coolant.

The ABS I would need to see the error codes and more details to make a judgement if what they replaced was necessary or not and if the cost was justified.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'd start by resetting the codes by disconnecting your battery for about an hour. While doing so, clean your battery terminals of corrosion. If you are really ambitious, locate and clean your two ground points too.

It's suspicious to have all of those things fail at the same time. When the light comes back on, get the codes read and see if they are the same codes.

I's not common for several unrelated items to fail at the same time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Damn $ 300 you got robbed buddy.. Places charge what ever they want hopefully they thru in some kinda Warrenty

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Poor OP. Came on to ask a question, but is being scolded for paying a shop for the t-stat.

I'm curious about what collyman and Joe Canyon were quoted for their t-stat change.

·
Registered
390 Posts
:bestest: Never had to change mine but sure as hell wouldn't pay no 300 bills for it lol

I'm sure the op even thinks he got over charged.

The abs problemo sounds like a bad wheel sensor that needs to be replace. Some where it is

loosing signal to the BCM causing the abs light to go on, Those sensors are really easy to

break if miss handled while changing pads n rotors. The bcm should be the last thing to '

replace if replacing the sensors fail..

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If you do not know how to perform the work then how do you get the work done without taking it to a shop? If the only option was a $300 bill, would you pay it because that is what it costs and you can't drive your vehicle until that is corrected?

We don't even know what was done for the $300 fee. It may have been a complete cooling system flush with all new hoses, thermostat -etc. We don't know. Maybe it was a $300 thermostat. Maybe it was everything so who are we to judge the amount of funds paid out?
Your parent just came in and told you of the work that was done followed up with a $300 bill. Do you look your parent in the face and say to them "No way would I pay that money for that"?

It's just an opinion/speculation commenting that they paid too much when we haven't ourselves been quoted for the repair nor do we know what was even done.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
:drama:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I was pissed when I heard my parents okay end the thermostat being replaced for that and I know I could have done the job for way way less! But my parents fronted half the bill. I told them it's my truck! Please tell me what must be done on it before making a decision I should have been included on!

The dealer said my "custom" intake and throttle body spacer my cause the thermostat to pop a check engine light bc it "sends wrong stats to everything. But I've had that setup for several months and never had a issue.

Oh and the dealer said it is the abs module it self bc it's defaulted. But NEVER had a abs light or check engine light come on. And out of the blue I get a check engine light. Yet my truck brakes just fine! Question, if my module is defected and I do slam on the brakes; will the system choose to work or will my brakes lock up like manual brakes?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
If the module is fried you should have an ABS light and the system would no longer function. It will be able to lock the tires in heavy braking.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
No I was pissed when I heard my parents okay end the thermostat being replaced for that and I know I could have done the job for way way less! But my parents fronted half the bill. I told them it's my truck!
You're 27 years old and Mommy and Daddy are still paying your bills? Geez.

ABS diagnostics start with scanning for codes. The Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) will tell you how to proceed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can't we all just get along and sing hippie songs?

Red, your Mommy and Daddy (just kidding) got taken. The part is around $35. Napaonline has an estimator that quoted me $151 - $210 for the whole job. The job is over but it points out how this dealer is treating you.

On your ABS I'm not sure if they just read codes or did actual diagnosis. The front sensor wiring commonly breaks near the sensor connector on the harness side. A new pigtail is MUCH cheaper than a sensor and replacement.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Can't we all just get along

1 - 19 of 19 Posts