Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 clorado 179k miles . rwd 3.7l . truck had knock so i take to chevy to wsap motors . they couldnt find any from colorados but they did find a 3.7l from a hummer 07 hummer h3 that they told me was an ezaxt match . was the exact same motor . so we go ahead and get it amd install it nd upon completion there is no crank no start . they told me they couldnt get any communication to any modules . so they replaced bcm nd pcm from . also replaced cylinder lock switch ...they were still trying to charge me after all of this and still no communication .so i take it another mechanic who finds a shorts in fusebox nd suggest we replace it also so we do that . he tells me that there is communication with the modules . he also tell me that there is no power to ignition or fuel. And my security light is solid and doesnt flash . what is the root of my problem i really need help i love the truck nd have $$$ wrapped in it but would hate to keep wasting $$.. Does the modules need programmed ? Am i locked of the passlock system ?? (Relearn procedure doesnt work ) what would cause this ?? I have a switch hooked direct to starter and it will crank that way but no start . only runs for a few seconds with a gas rag stuffed.. Pls need your expert opinions.. Please !!! I need help

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
08 clorado 179k miles . rwd 3.7l . truck had knock so i take to chevy to wsap motors . they couldnt find any from colorados but they did find a 3.7l from a hummer 07 hummer h3 that they told me was an ezaxt match . was the exact same motor . so we go ahead and get it amd install it nd upon completion there is no crank no start . they told me they couldnt get any communication to any modules . so they replaced bcm nd pcm from . also replaced cylinder lock switch ...they were still trying to charge me after all of this and still no communication .so i take it another mechanic who finds a shorts in fusebox nd suggest we replace it also so we do that . he tells me that there is communication with the modules . he also tell me that there is no power to ignition or fuel. And my security light is solid and doesnt flash . what is the root of my problem i really need help i love the truck nd have $$$ wrapped in it but would hate to keep wasting $$.. Does the modules need programmed ? Am i locked of the passlock system ?? (Relearn procedure doesnt work ) what would cause this ?? I have a switch hooked direct to starter and it will crank that way but no start . only runs for a few seconds with a gas rag stuffed.. Pls need your expert opinions.. Please !!! I need help
Welcome to the Nation

With so much changed on the truck, without a hands on evaluation, no one can determine where your problem(s) are located.

1. Assuming the 2007 and 2008 engines are the same, did the mechanics swap your 2008 engine wire harness to the 2007 engine? The Hummer harness will not work for your truck.

2. If there was no communication with ANY modules, why did they choose to replace the PCM and BCM? Did they confirm the Serial Data Bus was operational?

3. Are the replacement PCM and BCM modules specific to your 2008 truck? Were they programmed?

4. Has the mechanic, that determined that you need a new fuse box and that you now have module communication, scanned the truck and provided you with any codes? Is there communication with all of the other modules in the truck?

5. Is there anyone in your locale that has the experience and equipment to troubleshoot automotive electrical systems? Your problems don't appear to be mechanical. Someone needs to put the parts cannon back in the shed and start troubleshooting intelligently.

6. Replacing the ignition switch created the PassLock problem, but the engine should still crank (turn over) when the switch is turned to start. Do you still have the old switch?

7. Bottom line: When scanned, the truck has to show all engine related systems operational. This will require a scan tool that is at least able to read live data. You will need to solve the 'no crank' issue, it's not related to PassLock. Find someone that has access to the 2008 Service Manual information and can read and interpret that info. Changing parts by guessing is only going to cost you money. Not costing the mechanic.

·
Registered
274 Posts
2 cam sensors on the 07, only 1 on a 08. And a different reluctor wheel

·
Registered
274 Posts
You'd need to drill for the second sensor, and swap reluctor wheels, and use all sensors from the 2007 as well I believe. If you use the search bar, theres a write up for it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 07 motor has both sensor . nd i have a connector for it . its just not on my harness. Is there a way it could be wired into the harness?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Look for the how to write up on swapping a 08 or newer motor into an older truck. You'd have to do the opposite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the Nation

With so much changed on the truck, without a hands on evaluation, no one can determine where your problem(s) are located.

1. Assuming the 2007 and 2008 engines are the same, did the mechanics swap your 2008 engine wire harness to the 2007 engine? The Hummer harness will not work for your truck.

2. If there was no communication with ANY modules, why did they choose to replace the PCM and BCM? Did they confirm the Serial Data Bus was operational?

3. Are the replacement PCM and BCM modules specific to your 2008 truck? Were they programmed?

4. Has the mechanic, that determined that you need a new fuse box and that you now have module communication, scanned the truck and provided you with any codes? Is there communication with all of the other modules in the truck?

5. Is there anyone in your locale that has the experience and equipment to troubleshoot automotive electrical systems? Your problems don't appear to be mechanical. Someone needs to put the parts cannon back in the shed and start troubleshooting intelligently.

6. Replacing the ignition switch created the PassLock problem, but the engine should still crank (turn over) when the switch is turned to start. Do you still have the old switch?

7. Bottom line: When scanned, the truck has to show all engine related systems operational. This will require a scan tool that is at least able to read live data. You will need to solve the 'no crank' issue, it's not related to PassLock. Find someone that has access to the 2008 Service Manual information and can read and interpret that info. Changing parts by guessing is only going to cost you money. Not costing the mechanic.
Codes are eu100 nd no the modules were not reprogrammed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts