Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yes. Need to use avalanche calipers, hubs, and rotors to make it work

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'll post pics of the parts as they arrive. Waiting on the uppers and the torsion bar relocators

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you. I have the rough country 4" kit on my truck. I've got the h3 lower arms, and the axles on order. How much did the uppers cost?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
About 950cad. You'll need 4" torsion bar relocators as well. Reallift may make a set for you, I nearly had to beg. Steel prices have drastically gone up. I paid 450cad shipped.

·
Registered
35 Posts
About 950cad. You'll need 4" torsion bar relocators as well. Reallift may make a set for you, I nearly had to beg. Steel prices have drastically gone up. I paid 450cad shipped.
The rough country lift didn't come with Tb relocators. They just run them at an angle. No problems yet. Curious, do you know if the avalanche assembly will clear the inside of a 16" wheel?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Will definitely need the relocators. And it depends on offset. Avalanches run 16" up to 20". I imagine if keeping with 16" on the BDS knuckles, you'd need some offset. I'm running offset 17s , so no worries here

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Liquid Automotive lighting Coil spring Camera accessory Cylinder

I found these, for a 2020 dodge ram 1500.....I'm thinking about making them work and ditching the torsion bars eventually

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
With the tubular uppers, they should clear. I'll have to modify the upper mounts and fab a brace to go from one, up over the motor to the other, for strength.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Lots of info on the original H3 front end swap thread. I will start a thread with pictures and shit when I start bolting this frankenlift together.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Will definitely need the relocators. And it depends on offset. Avalanches run 16" up to 20". I imagine if keeping with 16" on the BDS knuckles, you'd need some offset. I'm running offset 17s , so no worries here
I havnt been running re locators for the last 10k iv been running the lift. I give the bar hexs a shot of grease now and then and havnt had any problems. I dont see why the h3 arm would be different. I do see that the early avalanches came with 16" wheels so yea might be ok.
Coilovers would be great. But will probably require the bucket to be modified somehow no? I know im not in love with my t bars.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hmm I didn't know the bars could be installed at such an angle. Ground clearance cant be great....but yeah, I'd definitely have to modify/completely rebuild the upper mounts and bump stop too. And possibly limiter straps as well

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ordered the h3 front iron diff housing. Its available from Summit. Going to build a locked front end while the shafts are out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Awesome, I didn't realize they were available. The aluminum axle tube is a real weak link too. As well as the rubber bushings in the diff mount. Could possibly find a steel axle tube from a v8 Colorado, but I hear they're hard to find. And a couple different companies make poly bushings for our diff mount

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes I think the alum diff housing was a problem for many h3s so I think the iron part was made available.
Yes the axle tube will have to be addressed if I don't use my alum one. Gear separation forces are addressed by the iron housing. I believe the weakness for the tube was torque forces in the front drive... however the h3 diff housing was designed with a mount right by the pinion bearing. I plan to use it to stop that twisting force by welding in a 5th mount on my lift crossmember.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I was planning on doing the same with the 5th mount. Only problem was that the mount on the h3 diff was hitting the oil pan, and I had to cut it off. The space for it on the h3 oil pan is on our oil pan too. The issue is that our diff is further back (or forward, I cant remember) so it doesn't line up with the 5th diff mount . I planned on welding on a custom mount, then bolting to the lift crossmember. I was thinking about just adding aluminum gussets and such on the axle tube to strengthen it up as well. Good find with the iron diff though, I thought they were out of production

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is that what that large hole is for by the oil pan bolts? The h3 has a crossmember there for it factory. My diff is dropped a good 2" so I'm way closer to the crossmember anyhow.
So with the lower ball joints, did you have to change anything to mate them with the bds knuckle? Sorry if you answered this already.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I haven't bolted anything up yet, as I dont have all the parts. But the ball joints are the same. At the most, I'll perhaps have to grind a little bit on the knuckles for clearance for the end of the lower control arm, but it would be minimal.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts