Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires. I decided to start a new thread since I want current opinons on whats out there.

I have wore my front tires out and the back ones are almost 10 years old. Yes I have the factory tires. And yes, I am lazy and never rotated them. So its time to replace all four.

What is is your current favorites? I want to keep it under $1000 for all four.

Factory is 265/70 17

I like a slightly aggressive tread. I don't off-road or travel in the deep snow much but it is nice to have the ability.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I need new tires. I decided to start a new thread since I want current opinons on whats out there.

I have wore my front tires out and the back ones are almost 10 years old. Yes I have the factory tires. And yes, I am lazy and never rotated them. So its time to replace all four.

What is is your current favorites? I want to keep it under $1000 for all four.

Factory is 265/70 17

I like a slightly aggressive tread. I don't off-road or travel in the deep snow much but it is nice to have the ability.
i like the cooper at3 when i got them it was about $670 for all 4

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I purchased Cooper at3's for my '04. I liked them, but they didn't last too long. I'm constantly on construction sites and they seemed to be magnetic when it came to nails on the ground! Only so many plugs you can put in a tire before it's time to just let 'em go and get something else. I've got "Ironman" tires now. Cheap, but I like them. I buy all my tires on tirebuyer.com. Great selection and you buy online and they deliver to your local Firestone, Goodyear or wherever you want them installed. They even have a discounted price arrangement for you for the install. My tires were $86 each and $67 for mounting an balancing at my local Firestone. I have 15" wheels though. Worth a peek to see what they have.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My choice was the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015.

I wanted an affordable, mostly on road tire that would give good wet traction and wear, and not be useless in a bit of mud.

I’ve been happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought wrangler duratracs last winter. I paid $887 with an alignment for my mine. Super happy with them after 10k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
About 2 years ago I put a set of BFG A/T KO2's on my 2010 Canyon Z71. If I remember correctly, it was just under $1,000 for the set. I have been very pleased with the performance. Same model year Z71 as yours and same size, so they should look like this on your truck.

I was impressed enough with them that I also put them on my 2010 Suburban 4X4.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I am running Falken Wildpeak AT3W's in 32 - 11.50 - 15's for about 1.5 years or so. Damn good tires and ride. I had BFG's before, and they were good also, but did not ride as good as the Falken's. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am sorry I have not been back on the forum for so long. A family emergency has sorta derailed a bunch of plans. Including shopping for tires. Hopefully I can find time now.

thanks again
stupido

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
Hankook ATMs

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a set of Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark tires on a Jeep Liberty from Wal-Mart I really liked and plan on a set for my truck. With install and road hazard, they should be around $700 currently.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I second the KO2s. I'm at 135000kms on my current set and will be buying them again. They perform well in the winter too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wont vouch for the BFG KO2's yet, as I don't even have 1000 km into my new set. I reserve the right to change my mind, but so far I'm happy. It's winter where I am despite a lack of snow, so cold road traction is really my only test so far.

That being said, I've already noticed that they are a lot quieter than I was expecting. I have yet to notice much difference from my pseudo off-road GTradial tires I just finished. They were absolutely awful off road despite their tread pattern, but on highway, silent. The KO2 doesn't seem very loud for its reputation as an incredible AT tire. Their reputation is lesser than others when you encounter mud though. It's more about knowing what you need the tires for and how to use what you have. you sound alot like my intentions of good highway manners, yet, won't be calling a friend saying "cmon out here, bring a truck" when you head down a trail to the lake because lets face it, nobody likes getting stuck, but we aren't going to drive 80,000 KM off road either.

My other choice was Wrangler duratrac's and I know how much they annoy me with sound. I admire them for their off road capabilities especially with mud, but I wont drive 80,000 KM with tires howling bloody murder. They were just too aggressive for my needs.

I went with with stock 09 z71 tire size 265/70/17 112c. They are the "6 ply" instead of the 10 that everybody seems to go for, as out trucks are pretty light. The 10 ply is enough for a half ton at max towing capacity, but our trucks only "require" a load rating of 113 even for max towing so I figured skip the 10 ply, get the comfort with an appropriate load rating, and not pretend that tires actually have 10 or even 6 ply's anymore. Comparably to the GTbadials they are a little stiffer, despite the 113 6 ply rating on the GTbad's but I was going for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Michelin Defender LTX load range E 245/70/17. The 265/70/17 are too large for the truck. I don't care what is listed for OEM . I have a 201 1 Z71 4x4 crewcab. Turning is better and road ride smoother. Stopped gravel pitting on body caused by stock tires too wide. Cleaner in rain and mud, now all that stuff stays within the wheel wells.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts