·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright this is my current system.

Front- Alpine Type R 6.5 Components
Back- Alpine Type R 6.5 coaxials

*powered by an Alpine PDX 4.100 amp

i love how it sounds, but now I want the sound of an amp to finish it off.

with a little research this is what i've come up with:

Alpine Type R 10" sub 1042D
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - SWR-1042D

*Alpine PDX 1.600 amp to power it.
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - PDX-1.600

is this a good combination? or can someone point out a flaw?

also i'm probably gonna have to upgrade my battery huh? is the optima yellowtop a good choice?

thanks in advance guys.....i appreciate it. :355:

·
Registered
893 Posts
The only thing I'm seeing is are you really stuck on alpine?? The only reason I'm asking this is you are looking at around $1000.00 just to get to this step. With some research you could do better with less cost.

You shouldn't need any further upgrades in your electrical as of yet. I'm still running my stock battery at the moment. I just make sure the truck is running when I crank my system.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Yeah Alpine is pretty expensive shit man. If you're looking to pound make sure to ask Hannibal, he knows his shit

If not, I am running a single 10W1 JL sub and it does the trick for me. I'm sure I'll upgrade in the future no doubt, but for now it provides a nice amount of bass for my ex cab :)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sure, i'd be willing to go with something else......what would you recommend?

only reason i chose alpine was because the 100's of reviews were always 5+plus stars

but yea if you guys know of something way better, then i'm all ears!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well I need to know a couple of things first. 1. What are you looking to spend?? and 2. How much space are you willing to giving up??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, I know this is someone else's thread, but I'm gonna ask anyway. Does anyone know the max size for a truck box that will fit behind the seat in a regular cab? I'm looking at getting one of these: Q-Logic QLT-.6510SS Type 1 single 10" truck box at Crutchfield.com I just don't know if it will fit, seeing as I still don't know what the measurements are. Kinda hard to get them when I left all my tools back home, and don't have the money to go buy any.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
sure, i'd be willing to go with something else......what would you recommend?

only reason i chose alpine was because the 100's of reviews were always 5+plus stars

but yea if you guys know of something way better, then i'm all ears!
alpine is def a solid company, if you want to stay with them i'd go with the MRP series amps and save a lil money, the MRP-M650 looks like what your looking for, iv personly owned this amp and it pushes out plenty of power for any 10 your looking at.

and yes optima yellow top or kinetik is the way to go

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright i got another question, whats the difference between 4ohm and 2ohm subs? i looked it up and made me even more confused. i know it has to do with resistance but thats all i know.

the PDX amp can power both equally it says.

the MRP says:
Per channel into 4 ohms: 400W x 1 (0.08% THD)
Per channel into 2 ohms: 600W x 1

the RMS is 500W so the MRP amp is 100W underpowering the 4ohm? or should i go with the 2 ohm 10"? :lol: ahhh i'm so confused.........

·
Registered
131 Posts
If I remember correctly from when I got my subs, the 4 ohms have better sound quality.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well lets see if I can answer this. Ok the speakers voice coils are what determins the impedence of the speaker itself. So in saying this speakers have both single and dual voice coils. Single voice coil speakers can only be wired to the ohm rating of that voice coil. So if the speaker is a single voice coil (svc) at 4 ohm that is what the amp is going to see 4ohm. That is unless you are wiring more than one speaker. If your doing two svc subs that have 4ohm each you could wire them to 2ohm's or 8ohm's. Now if you get a dual voice coil sub (dvc) that is 4ohm then that one speaker could be wired to 2ohm's or 8ohm's. But if you get a pair of dvc 4ohm speakers you could wire them to 1ohm or 4ohm. Now this is what the amp is seeing. Now is when you get into speakers that have single 4ohm, single 2ohm, dual 4ohm, dual 2ohm hell there are even speakers out there that have quad voice coils. So in essence your sort of telling the amp what impedance to run at and therefor what power to put out. Most of the D class amps today are rated down to 1 ohm. So it will produce the rated power at 1 ohm. So if your looking at getting that power you need to have speakers that would be able to wire down to 1 ohm and handle that power. I hope that I've not totally confused you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
<.< >.> Yea, that. Lol, I got the impedance and voice coils mixed up.

Also, nevermind my post about the sub boxes. I found a site that sells ones custom built for the single cab Colorado's, and they're almost half the price for a pair of boxes than for two of the ones from Crutchfield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts