Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finishing up my 5.3 swap, i need the LH8 power steering pulley to match the LH8 pump and bracket i am using.

when i ordered the pump and bracket the pulley was available (i forgot to order a pulley at the time, and didnt jump on it when i realized my mistake). i keep taking my time getting this swap done and cannot find the pulley now. when i made that purchase the pulley was available (PN 12605507) but i cant find one anywhere now. so for those who have done an LS swap using the LH8 pump or have a factory 5.3, where can i find a pulley to fit?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in exactly the same situation. I'm going to try to find a pulley off a different vehicle. If I find something I'll let you know. Please do the same.

·
Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
46 Posts
finishing up my 5.3 swap, i need the LH8 power steering pulley to match the LH8 pump and bracket i am using.

when i ordered the pump and bracket the pulley was available (i forgot to order a pulley at the time, and didnt jump on it when i realized my mistake). i keep taking my time getting this swap done and cannot find the pulley now. when i made that purchase the pulley was available (PN 12605507) but i cant find one anywhere now. so for those who have done an LS swap using the LH8 pump or have a factory 5.3, where can i find a pulley to fit?
I just did a Google search with your part number and pulley and got several hits.

Geoff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rober2wt, I'm going to try the pulley off a 2005 Corvette. It looks like it's the right shaft size and offset looks close. Pulley diameter is close as well. It list for $27 at the dealer and it's aluminum.

Power Steering Pump Pulley - GM (12568997)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rober2wt, I'm going to try the pulley off a 2005 Corvette. It looks like it's the right shaft size and offset looks close. Pulley diameter is close as well. It list for $27 at the dealer and it's aluminum.

Power Steering Pump Pulley - GM (12568997)
funny enough, the C5/C6 pulley is what i have been eyeing as well. its a 6 3/8" pulley with the correct center bore. it is very close, but not perfect.

i can verify for you that the pulley does in fact fit the pump shaft. and it clears the pump housing and bracket. but the belt center line of the pulley is 2.2mm/.086" proud (forward in car) of the pulley we cant find. the belt has a pretty long run to the alternator and wraps the water pump on the smooth side. but i am still concerned that the pulley center line different is enough to cause squeak.

so there are two options really... you can make a shim out of 13 or 14 gauge steel to place between the bracket and pump, spacing the pump rearward. this will get the belt center line of the C5/C6 pulley within 10 thou (.010") of the LH8 pulley center line. or you can physically push the pulley onto the shaft the extra 2.2mm (there is room). using a set of calipers on the end of the pump shaft, you should be able to get really close.

PM me back channel if you need/want more info. my C5/C6 pulley should be here friday. will report back.

PS - your motor looks exactly like mine, just cleaner! lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered the pulley and it will be here tomorrow as well. Let's compare notes once we both have the pulley in hand. I'm good pushing the pulley on a little more or stacking washers on the back side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered the pulley and it will be here tomorrow as well. Let's compare notes once we both have the pulley in hand. I'm good pushing the pulley on a little more or stacking washers on the back side.
sent you a PM with the info that i have.

i wont be in the shop until Sunday. working on the exhaust mostly, but i will see if i can get the accessory drive situated. will be checking to see if youve got an update before then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thread updated.

ended up using a C5/C6 pulley and pressing it further on the shaft with a washer, got within a couple thou of the .086" target, good enough. dont have a vehicle application for the belt pictured below. i just walked into the back of autozone and found one that would fit knowing the length of the one i had on hand that didnt fit.

the blue line being the casting i used to draw the sharpie line for min (green) and max (red) travel, here is where the tensioner ends up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts