Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Im new to this forum I live in Californa and im looking to buy an 05 Canyon. Its a regular cab 4x4 5sp 3.5L l5 with only... 71k. Miles!!. Ive looked up the issues for weeks now and im still nervous about this buy. It has the common electrical issues except the one im looking at seems a little worse than what ive read.

So im just looking for a little advice on this decision. Anyways heres the issues and heres what i know.

I test drove it the other day and it took about 10min to start up with no interior light radio guages nothing. But when it started it ran just fine. The only things that worked was the 4x4. And the right turn signal was stuck on. Other than that. Nothing else was light up or working. It just seemed dead on the inside.

Now i know about the splice packs and cleaning the grounds or just eliminating them and grounding them yourself. Also im going to take a look at the TCCM just to be sure bcuz i noticed water on the floor and a bad windshield seal. But i dont think thats the only issue. Im willing to put the money into fixing it myself or even a shop to fix it but i like to know exactly what im looking before i jump into this project. So basically i just want to know what else do you guys think it would be.?? Any advice would help. Thank you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That leak sounds like it is also giving the BCM ground trouble. At least the 4WD is working though. How long was it sitting, taking on water? Did you have to jump start it?

Most important. How cheap is it? The low miles powertrain could be swap material too for a tired unit that is worth saving.

Was it a California truck its whole life? So the body and chassis are in good shape?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out the car fax. It seems to all check out it hasent been driven regularly for about a year but it has a 1500 mile difference from car fax to me looking at it last week. So its been moved around. The previous owner only drover it roughly 4600 mi a year. It did have to have a jumpper box. But that battery looks toast anyways.

Everything looks clean and original. The truck originally comes from Colorado with California emissions that has passed recently.

The leak doesnt seem too bad but over time im sure it spread. Doesnt look like it ever was 'flooded' just that leaky seal.
Its in really good shape. Ill post a pic if i can.
$4500 and it is at a dismantler. Im not 100% set on it but i do have a hold on it for the next 2weeks to make a decision.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The bad battery voltage is definitely impacting the performance of the electronics, even while running. A new battery and cleaning the grounds may well get you going. New carpet is about $170 if that one is yucky.
At 4500 its a great deal for a good truck, but its not a steal if there is a significant issue. My biggest concern is that the BCM is compromised due to the leak. However, that is the first thing to act up on low voltage. New battery may well bring it online.
If the turn signal switch is bad, it is kind of a pain to replace, but again, may just be the low voltage.
Is the chassis clean and with a easily serviceable amount of corrosion? No major leaks?

If it starts and seemed to run well, I say go for it if you have some skills to tinker with it yourself.
Replace that windshield seal
Pull the seats and carpet, be prepared to clean all of the grounds and repaint/undercoat the floor if water has been causing issues.
Change all of the fluids.

If you have the space to work on it, and another vehcile to give you time to be patient with the truck, grab it.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Isn't the 3.5 known to be troublesome? I'd keep looking if you can for the price of $4500. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You know, I was just thinking. A compression and leak down check would be a good idea just to make sure the top end is not having issues. That was an issue on the early models.
4500 is a great price if the truck needs minimal attention. Like just new seal and battery. You will be rolling the dice a bit because you do not know the extent of the work with the electronics until you clean the grounds, check the fuses, and fire it up.
If you are leaning strongly toward buying, it would be worth a couple hundred dollar investment to have the engine checked out first, check that ground under the passenger seat, and throw a battery at it. If the engine checks out poor, or you find the BCM is toast you will have a decision to make. Or a new price negotiation leverage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bad battery voltage is definitely impacting the performance of the electronics, even while running. A new battery and cleaning the grounds may well get you going. New carpet is about $170 if that one is yucky.
At 4500 its a great deal for a good truck, but its not a steal if there is a significant issue. My biggest concern is that the BCM is compromised due to the leak. However, that is the first thing to act up on low voltage. New battery may well bring it online.
If the turn signal switch is bad, it is kind of a pain to replace, but again, may just be the low voltage.
Is the chassis clean and with a easily serviceable amount of corrosion? No major leaks?

If it starts and seemed to run well, I say go for it if you have some skills to tinker with it yourself.
Replace that windshield seal
Pull the seats and carpet, be prepared to clean all of the grounds and repaint/undercoat the floor if water has been causing issues.
Change all of the fluids.

If you have the space to work on it, and another vehcile to give you time to be patient with the truck, grab it.
Thats what im thinking too. I just dont know what kind of other damage it could cause if it did go bad. I was thinking of just replacing that as well along with the Tccm like i mentioned... if its burnt.
You know, I was just thinking. A compression and leak down check would be a good idea just to make sure the top end is not having issues. That was an issue on the early models.
4500 is a great price if the truck needs minimal attention. Like just new seal and battery. You will be rolling the dice a bit because you do not know the extent of the work with the electronics until you clean the grounds, check the fuses, and fire it up.
If you are leaning strongly toward buying, it would be worth a couple hundred dollar investment to have the engine checked out first, check that ground under the passenger seat, and throw a battery at it. If the engine checks out poor, or you find the BCM is toast you will have a decision to make. Or a new price negotiation leverage.
Man i really appreciate you for helpin me out with this. I definitely will check all the grounds and the condition of the BCM. I am leaning towards getting it just bcuz its exactly what im looking for with a decently low price tag. I am willing to put up to a couple thousand into it. I think it will be a great little truck and paying off 2k is better than financing a whole vehicle lol.
I wish i could do a test on it. I barely got to test drive it. The company is very 'either buy it or dont.' Which i understand. But it definitely is a gamble i agree. But you have given me some helpful information.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't the 3.5 known to be troublesome? I'd keep looking if you can for the price of $4500. Just my opinion.
Ive seen some real good reviews on the 3.5 but i will definitely check into them more. I do have 2 weeks to make my decision so any input helps.
I kinda agree with you tho. Due to the location of the vehicle and not really knowing too much about it nor being able to do any type of tests on it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I get it, it is just nice to bounce ideas around. I know you have run through these scenarios a dozen times in your head already, but it is good to have feedback from the outside world too, make sure you are not dumb. :)
If you are thinking yes, buy the battery and bring it with you. Let it sit with no battery connected for 10 minutes, then hook up the new one. If it comes to life, and all of the switches and lights work, great. If no, then you know you are in for a project and have to decide accordingly. Keep the old battery you just bought for $4500 for the core charge return if you like. BCM cannot be completely toast if it starts... If its a no start, or runs poorly then walk. (Take your new battery with you to return. )

Do you have to drive it home, or are you going to have it towed? How far is the ride home?

The yard will be perfectly happy to part it out and make more, especially if it is in good shape with regards to corrosion. The motors are not that common, so they can be expensive to replace, which works in their favor with a low miles unit. I get their take it or no attitude.

I got my 2010 reg cab this summer, same 71k as yours. It too was exactly what i wanted. In my case I paid more than i wanted to, and I still had to put a few hundred to make it how i wanted. Buying used vehicles is super stressful, I hate it. Know what else is stressful, $500 payments on a new truck.....

If you need it as a daily driver right away, then that is a larger risk. If you have a few months to shake it down and make it beautiful, then its less sweaty.

my 2 pennies. Do your reading on here and elsewhere to make a long checklist. Grab that battery and head out there. If it gives you good vibes, take the chance and bring it home. If you are unsure about anything you see, keep looking. Let us know!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Take a hard look at the frame for rust, especially the drivers side. Anything else beyond rust is "fixable" unless you consider a re-frame practical.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's a real good point. Take a look at the frame rust threads on here and see what Ken is talking about. Best to have the truck on a lift to give it a good look through. Or plan on getting dirty. :)
I don't know your experience with a rusted chassis, as the folks out in California do not have 10% of the issues we do in the Midwest and North East. Being a west coast vehicle is very favorable, but do a double check. Make that high on your check list.
In fact, that is why I paid too much for my truck, it was a Cali truck it's whole life before I got it in Michigan. I had the dealer put it on a hoist and about pissed myself I was so excited to see how clean that frame was. They knew that had me hooked. I tried to have a poker face, but they knew i knew what they had.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea man thats exactly why im so into this truck no payments each month and regardless of what i get.. its going to be alot of money. This just has a more pros than cons to me. But just like you i just wanted to bounce some ideas around and get your guys opinion since.. yall own one. Lol

Oh yea i dont mind getting dirty i have another project i have that will be started after this truck. I just dont have much experience with electrical but theres never a bad time to learn right?? Lol

Im going to go back and check out the frame more closely. But as i recall the frame and everything underneath looked pretty clean. As well as leaks or build up it was really clean.

Its definitely a plus that it started up and i did drive it a little. So i think im going to pull the trigger on it real soon. I keep reading all the same solutions to the problem its having so im pretty confident i can fix it no problem.
Plus i got you guys now. Lmfao.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You know what, I changed my mind looking at that picture. Its no good man, run away. It is a terrible truck. But you know, for reference, where is that yard located, and what is their number? I'd like to call them up and tell them how bad I think it is. Yeah, bad truck. no bueno. ;p

·
Registered
212 Posts
So from the 1 shot you have there, looks really promising. Love the blue.
Check out the custom tail pipe, make sure that is well routed, and hanging by speaker wire. Oh its a dual! cool. Just check their work.
What we can see of the frame looks black, not red. AND the front leaf spring bolt is not painted, meaning it has likely not been undercoated. Coatings can hide some flaws on a quick review.
Dont see any rust through on the cab corners. Next time out, get down there and push on the bottom of the rockers near the rear most drain plug. (You will see when you are there). Push on it with your thumb and make sure its solid. Its 15 years old, there could be some sponginess, thats where they start to go.
Black plastics on the bumpers are sun worn. Yeah that happens in California. Easy enough to replace them. I actually painted mine with Rustoleum black bumper paint. Ill let you know how it held up when it thaws.
Mud flaps on all 4. Nice. Somebody cared.
Dent in the gate, meh, truck life.
Dont know what to do about the center caps on the wheels.....
OK last silly thing. Check the roof. Both of my trucks were work trucks and had CB antenna bungs drilled into the roof. I chose to remove them and patch the hole.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yall are too funny. The center caps are actually all there. Lolol :ROFLMAO: They take em off so no one steals them also the lil jack comes with it and everything. I didnt even notice dual exhaust im assuming its not stock.? Lol well i mean it was owned by 1 real owner. Drove it roughly 4500 a year. It had maintenance logs on the carfax. Not too many but like emmissions and reg and when he firstwas taking it to the dealer for service.

Okay! Im gonna have to make a list on what to check for next time i go out there. Ill take some more pics too if you guys are interested.
Ya see what im sayin??!! I felt the same way when i saw it too. I love the blue. It matches my del sol im building.

And as for the roof i did check it. There is alot of dimples. Im assuming hail storm in colorado? Idk if thats a thing but those are there. Nothing too bad just a lil ugly. Also same for the hood some dimples.
Its got a lil dings and scratches. #TruckLife like you said lol. I live in the mountains so im not too worried about the paint. Its been snowing like crazy here.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts