Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hail damage is totally a thing. Yeah maybe it got caught out in a storm. I have seen it a lot.
My truck had a lot of dings in it too when I got it. I painted it top to bottom with Raptor bedliner epoxy, so the textured surface hides most of the imperfections that remained after I bumped out what i could.
Definitely want more pictures. And not just beauty shots. We want to see in the engine compartment,what the bed looks like, and especially up under her skirt to see the frame. We are weird like that.
Looking forward to hearing about the next trip out.

·
Internet Troll
1,281 Posts
Not a bad looking truck. For an '05 you'd expect some slight issues, and hail damage is one of them. I got lucky with my '09 in that it never saw hail. I like the blue, looks close to my new to me '12.

Dragon08...love the truck life! My '12 has some light scratches, but it's a 9 year old truck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey guys!! I apologize for the silence. Super busy at work and just life. Ugh

Anyways! GOOD NEWS!!.
I got the truck i just picked it up today. Ill take some pics under the truck and the bay for you guys and get some opinions 😁

I was able to drive it all the way home. About 50miles. Snagged a new battery so that helped a bit. Some of the interior actually started working after putting the new battery in... just not really when they are supposed to work. Like the whole guage cluster lights up and the radio turns on when its just in acc. mode. So im going to have to narrow down the exact problems so you guys can help me out with those lil bugs. Imma mess with the sp105 and sp106 first. And a couple modules. Cant wait to post up some more pics. Thank you guys. 🙏

Oh man i love the dual exhaust. Sounds pretty beefy for a l5. I did look under to see the work of the exhaust and it seems pretty solid and done right. No speaker wires 😂. No real rust just maybe a lil surface rust due to the age. Lol so far im happy.

Im offically apart of the nation.
Do we have cool catch phrases?
Any special gang initiations?
Do people fear us? I need info guys!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thats awesome brother. So stoked it worked out. Yeah take some pics and video of the things you think aren't right and we will see what we can do to sort it out.
Can't wait to see more. Congrats

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh yeah, we are feared all over the interweb. They see us coming in our lady trucks and hide the children. The 5 cylinder engine frightens and confuses the timid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another new guy adding my two cents. For what it's worth on December 20th I purchased a very clean 2005 Colorado standard cab. There was several things I really liked about the truck, the body is mint, 4cyl automatic with 127,108 miles, no idiot lights on, new battery, new cam censor and the motor runs like a fine clock. Oh and the cost $2,000! Now the bad.... like yours the carpet was toast, I mean NASTY! No interior lights, Wipers would work even without the key in the ignition, No cargo lights, turn signal was like ultra slow on one side and jet fast on the other side and no warning chimes on anything.

I joined the sister Chevrolet Forum like this Forum I received great advise. The very first thing I done on December 20th was to gut the interior and remove that nasty carpet. On the same day I ordered a new carpet from Stokinterior.com. I paid the extra for the "Ultra-Plush" ($63.77) and the "Mass Backing" (rubberized backing that is really really great and helps on the install $44.00, total cost was $258.62, I ordered #1106 gray. Carpet arrived my home on December 24, 2020 at 1100 hours! Regarding the carpet it is a "MOLDED" carpet for the truck and I found the it to be a fantastic fit! I laid the carpet face down on my garage floor and laid the old carpet over the top of it. I used a shaker can of red paint and sprayed all the factory holes in the old carpet. Used a whole saw in my drill and cutting through the "Mass Backing" was easy and clean. While the old carpet was still on top of the new I used heavy duty material scissors and trimmed the new carpet, allowing a little extra. I am so proud of myself as the install went so well and honestly looks factory! I believe it pays to purchase the best carpet that Stokinteriors.com offers.

When I did remove the carpet like you I found both front floor pans wet! Possible problems was the (1) third brake lights, (2) windshield leaking, (3) air condition drain, (4) cowl body seam (Service Bulletin 04-08-57004A) Before I installed the carpet this was a must fix. I firs found the third brake light seal to be EXTREMELY bad and allowing Niagara Falls to enter the truck. New seal and then I used clear glass silicone all around the seam just to make sure. Next I pulled the wiper cowling, wipers and wiper transmission and found some of the body seam sealer had pushed out during install at the factory. Re seamed all seals, even removed the fenders (which is extremely easy) and re-seamed all joints. The AC drain appeared to be clear of any foreign matter and did not call for the standard rubber down tube? I thought this odd because driving down the road the air could very very easily push the water from the AC back into the cab, so I ordered one and installed it. The existing windshield was scratched to the point driving at night was poor at the best. For $300.00 I had a new windshield installed at my home, well if it was leaking it's repaired now. With all that completed I was confident and installed the carpet.

Now for the electrical issues, I would rather do plumbing which I HATE than frig with electrical. Couple members from the sister Forum gave me great advise and where to look. I researched the "splice packs" and even went to a scrap yard and cut two out so I could disassemble so to have a better understanding. Looking at mine they really seemed fine, most of the ground were going to the driver's side splice pack. I even added another negative cable directly to the bolt holding the driver's splice pack, cleaned them up great. Put the key in the ignition and NOPE all problems still exist! What caught my attention was the interior light would come on with the passenger door but not the driver's door? Purchased a new OEM driver's door jamb switch and EVERYTHING started working except the chimes! OK I am on a roll.

The factory CD player was toast and someone had cut into the harness. Had a new CD/Bluetooth/Apple Play stereo and new Kicker door speaker installed, NOW everything works as advertised!

Sort of long winded but I am so happy with my 2005 Colorado and especially being able to figure everything out, with the help of friends from the Forum. Having the early onset of Alzheimer's I took me a little extra time as I would have to constantly read and re-read my notes form members.

Hope this helps in some odd way!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgot to mention my blower motor control only work on low and extreme high. Members directed me to a common problem that was an easy fix! The resistor behind the glove box, new harness and resistor and works like new again! Also you can see I had the bed Rhino lined, added Weather Tech floor mats and Weather Tech splash guards. Installed new emblems with the Colorado mountain decals and pinstriping to break up all the white. Completed with a HUGE THANKS to my friends on the sister Forum!
Larry

·
Registered
367 Posts
"Put the key in the ignition and NOPE all problems still exist! What caught my attention was the interior light would come on with the passenger door but not the driver's door? Purchased a new OEM driver's door jamb switch and EVERYTHING started working except the chimes!"

Now that is a valuable nugget of information! It just shows you how the BCM logic can really screw with you when something is not right or modified incorrectly (e.g. aftermarket alarms/starters).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you thats great information. I will definitely check all those spots. Im guessing i have a couple of the same leak issues. I havent checked my blower yet. When i picked up the truck that knob was in the box of "secured stealables" but i read that is a very common problem along with all these wonderful problems the 355s give us lol

What im doing at the moment is taking up the carpet. Cleaning all ground points. Checked the TCCM that was pretty corroded. Cleaned it up with a brush. But that was already working. Like you mentioned. The 3rd brake light is definitely the issue. You can see the water marks on the back panel behind the seats. So it was pretty wet under the carpet. Which isnt really bad actually. The carpet is pretty clean no mold no major stains it just smells a little. I have it pulled up right now getting fresh air and tomorrow morning im going to dry it out with a fan. Its surprisingly easy to take the interior apart much easier than my previous cars lolol.

The next thing i did was check the BCM and i found the plug at the top was kinda loose. And looked tampered with. I dont kno if it was from the dismantler or the previous owner. Bcuz i notice the dash has been taken apart previously. Probably to check the crazy cluster lol
Anyways that was loose so i secured it a little more. Im almost positive its going to need to be replaced. Which im not worried about. Obviously i will need to get it programmed. Im just nervous about the re key or key relearn or whatever thats called. I heard (the secret handshake 🤝 between the bmc and pcm) lol i liked that. So that brings me to my question...
Global reset i believe ita called. Touching the negative cable to the positive to reset the bcm. Thiiiis makes me really nervous. Lol i tried the no battery power for about 10min like you said Dragon. I dont kno if i did it correct. I took both cables off. What do you think about that reset thing? I read it takes 30 seconds to reset the bcm. I like fire works just... not in my hands. 😅

·
Registered
211 Posts
Touching the cables together is not a thermal event. It just helps drain any remaining juice from the system so you can start fresh. Should be no drama. The Passlock relearn is not a big deal at all, just takes a while.
That door switch that Larry mentioned was really interesting.....
Get those grounds cleaned up. Replace your CHMSL brake light, or at least the gasket. (I like the LED units)
The let us know what is working and what is not. We will go from there. Hopefully your carpet is serviceable, and can just be air dried.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have read that cleaning the board with isopropyl alcohol is the move, but I'd defer to YouTube on that process.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Lol he did mention something important. Ill have to look into the door lights and see how it operates. There is so many little things it does im just like 🤪🙃🤯. But im trying sort them all put and know exactly what everything is doing improperly lol.
I think air drying the carpet will be just fine. It looked alot worse that it is when i first saw the truck and the initial stench didnt help. So i dont think that will be an issue. As for that 3rd brake light. I havent got a plan with it yet. But i will seal it up. That definitely is a problem it does leak. And i just looked that the LED lights... those are sexy! I think that will be a purchase later.
Im also going to check out that seam under the wipers Larry mentioned. All leaks will be found and sealed! Any other suggestions are welcomed.
If i havent acknowledged them it doesnt mean i read over it. Im doing everything you guys have told me.
A million times over thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had the carpet from my s10 out and took a residential carpet cleaner to it for an hour or so. I used "pet odor" enzyme detergent to really clean it out. (PO was a smoker who used it as an ash tray.) It worked well. I also did the upholstery on the seats and door panels. Its a lot easier to do when its all taken apart.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That circuit board will clean up with isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), but look closely for badly oxidized solder joints that may cause high resistance. If you have some bad connections, its as simple as touching the solder joint with a soldering pencil (not a huge soldering gun) just to melt it and let it solidify. I don't recommend doing this unless its an obvious problem with the connection.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts