Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2007 Z85 Red Cab 2WD 4 cylinder auto.

Currently it is lowered with ZQ8 coils, Belltech 2" Ball Joints, and ZQ8 leaf springs and 1" blocks.

I am thinking I want to raise it back up and put a small lift on it.

I am thinking this kit

Colorado and Canyon Lift Kit

I have some 17" ZQ8 wheels I have not put tires on yet and I was hoping to use them.

The kit says it can fit 30" tires, so I was thinking either 235/70/17 or maybe a 245/70/17

Since the stock zq8 tire is 235, I would think I would not have any rubbing issues

Anyone see any issues with this? I would be doing any real off roading, just dirt roads to go fishing, and stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Are you going to be going back to the stock Z85 suspension on top of the lift kit? Or installing the lift kit on your current ZQ8/ball joint setup?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will go back to stock. I will put new lower control arms on. May keep the ZQ8 coils as they were off a crew cab and did not seem to lower the truck, but did help firm up the ride. Also have new bilstein shocks all the way around

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Gotcha. Just did a quick search and a 245/70/17 came out to 30.5". I imagine you'd be ok, even if you had to do just a weeeee bit of trimming. As long as you run the stock offset ZQ8s. If you get into aftermarket wheel widths/offsets, I have no clue as I've never lifted a 355.

I'd wait for a lifted guy to chime in though.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
I don't understand what the kit has to raise the front, I see some spacers but not sure how those work.

Because you have drop balljoints you will need to buy stock lower arms with factory balljoints if you don't have them already. With the drop balljoints you have to cut off the sway bar tab, unless you plan on not running a front sway bar?

I would also change out the coils and leafs to stock Z85 cause the ZQ8's give you some drop. Once you have the stock parts then you can figure out how much lift you want and buy the correct parts. I would look at coil spacer (Tacoma spacer as they call them) or lift spindles for the front and shackles and add a leafs for the rear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the readylift uses a spacer between the lower control arm and the shock, I'm not sure though.

I would personally go with the suspensionmaxx coil spacers, and adjustable rear shackles.

Chevy Colorado 2WD Leveling Kit ? SuspensionMAXX ? Adjustable

MAXXShackle 1"/1.5"/2.0" Adjustable Rear Leveling/Lift Kit

You will come out slightly cheaper, and have the ability to adjust the both the front and rear to get the perfect height. Also, suspensionmaxx is a site sponsor, and very helpful.

And as jesse said, make sure to go back to stock coils and leafs, otherwise the lift will basically put you back at stock height.

also, and input on these kits, the just seem to be too cheap to be true

Carbon Steel Lift Kit Front 2 5" Rear 1 5" with Shock Extender 4x2 2WD | eBay
I personally would never buy ebay parts that, upon failure, could cause a wreck and hurt you or others. Plus, this kit doesn't tell you what it uses to lift the front.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do they offer discounts to forum members?

Do they sell a complete package or do you have to buy each part separate?

The other kits use a bracket to move the lower front shock mount up for the lift

I think the readylift uses a spacer between the lower control arm and the shock, I'm not sure though.

I would personally go with the suspensionmaxx coil spacers, and adjustable rear shackles.

Chevy Colorado 2WD Leveling Kit ? SuspensionMAXX ? Adjustable

MAXXShackle 1"/1.5"/2.0" Adjustable Rear Leveling/Lift Kit

You will come out slightly cheaper, and have the ability to adjust the both the front and rear to get the perfect height. Also, suspensionmaxx is a site sponsor, and very helpful.

And as jesse said, make sure to go back to stock coils and leafs, otherwise the lift will basically put you back at stock height.

I personally would never buy ebay parts that, upon failure, could cause a wreck and hurt you or others. Plus, this kit doesn't tell you what it uses to lift the front.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Suspension Maxx offers discounts to forum members. Yes they sell a complete kit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Dont waste your money on that kit i had it on my truck it wasnt that great.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Can you make any specific comment about what made it 'not that great'.
And what can you recommend to him as a better option?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Better option would be some sort of spindle lift but also more expensive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i looked into spindle lifts, and I am not really wanting a full 3". I al leaning more for the MAXX kit, since I can stop at 2" if I want

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
SMaxx kit or the Readylift one is pretty much it unless you get some cheap spacer off eBay but the ride will be harsher with the cheap ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts