Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just a quick question about my new 2.9L 4cyl crew cab

It seems to run warm like almost 3/4 or so is this normal. It only has 600 miles on it now I took it to the dealer and they said its normal is this true?

Thanks see it at SEMA 2007

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure about the 2.9, mine's a 2.8 and it never gets above 1/2. :shrug:

Might be because of the break-in period though...wouldn't surprise me.

P

·
0 Posts
Im running a little over half most of the time, like highway and stuff, but IT IS 100+ in arizona right now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I ran with the AC on full blast this morning, carrying a load of furniture in the bed, and going uphill at 70-75 and it didn't even get up to halfway once.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I first got mine it never went further above the 1/4 mark. Then we had a heat wave and it went up to half and stays there now. During the heat wave I was stuck in traffic once and it went up to 3/4.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I've still never seen mine above the 3/8'ths mark. The "normal" spot seems to vary quite a bit from truck to truck.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
im willing to bet that all of our trucks run at almost the same temp, just the quality of the thermistors or variable resistors or whatever GM uses in the sensors is whats giving us the inacurate readings...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
^ I would agree. I've heard of some people swapping complete gauge clusters and after the swap the needle sits in a different spot as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ive never seen mine go past half, usualy hangs a dot over 1/4....

gotta love chevys. i just trust its not over heating.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
When I first got mine it never went further above the 1/4 mark. Then we had a heat wave and it went up to half and stays there now. During the heat wave I was stuck in traffic once and it went up to 3/4.

Mine sits there all the time now :( I took it to the dealer, they said normal too!

GRrr

Its not my gauge, my scan gauge reports high temps, and its not a bad sensor, as you open the hood, you can tell!

·
Registered
41 Posts
All the trucks I've ran the scanner on would run between 180 and 195. You could have one truck runing at 181 and the guage will be a half, while another will be at 193 and the guage will be at a quarter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the imput, I took it back to dealer and they played with it now sits @ about 1/2 or 1 click above. I am just watching closely to make sure no issues before I take it back again.

SEMA 2007 project so hopefully nothing major before I cut it up soon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts