Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

What should I do?

• Get a pre-fabbed unit. (ex. Pioneer AVIC D-3)

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Be unique, make your own!!!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • I could care less what you do.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened. I finally got tired of my stock radio. I'm surprised it took me this long. Anyway. I already know I'm replacing the stock speakers and possibly adding a sub in a box that goes under my jump seat. (I have an ext cab)

I've seen a lot of guys that have the new Pioneer AVIC D-3. Those look slick and I could probably pick one up cheap. But I was looking around the interwebz and found the MP3car.com forum. (For those of you unfamiliar it is a forum for ppl who put computers in their vehicles.)

My question becomes this: Should I get a pre-fabbed Touchscreen CD/DVD/Nav unit like the AVIC D-3 or should I attempt the Car PC gig?

I'd appreciate any pics, experience, or recommendations you have. Thanks Guys :salute:

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I am thinking of going the car-pc route too....soon. You can do whatever you want with it....there are some really cool ideas out there!

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Damn that pico shit is small. I was looking more toward a used laptop thats I'd part out. I may be able to get my hand on one for free. :D

Heres the other thing too. If I go the PC route what OS to run. Windows, Mac, Linux. I think I like Linux though. It'll boot straight to a front-end instead of having to open windows first then start the front-end.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will.

My biggest worry about making a car PC is sound quality. I've had a Pioneer deck before and I really like the way their MOSFET <sp?> chipset sounds.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks flatman

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Yup I made my own but I haven't had it in the truck for awhile. Main reason is because the aux adapter took a shit and I have this intermittent issue where I only get sound out of one side of the truck. I plan on fixing it soon though and doing everything right!

A word of wisdom for doing the PC thing though, you will never finish it! :lol:

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does any mod ever truely get finished? Hell just ask CodeRed :lol:

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
has to be done. haha

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
Have you seen the new Kenwood DNX8120? That HU is bad ass! Navi and bluetooth is built in and has a ton of features. The internet listings don't do it any justice. Go to a local Kenwood dealer and check it out. It makes me want to upgrade from my DDX8019!!

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
haven;t seen them yet. I'll have to take a look.

Edit: not bad. I like it

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shit $1600 i can make a badass Car PC that can do all that and more.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SCREW VISTA IN THE ASS!!! [/psycho behavior]

sorry I can;t stand Vista. It's a wonder Microsoft still has so many loyal customers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts