Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Colorado
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I’m Jenn.

This is my first post as I find my way around here. My truck is a 11 Colorado with the 2.9 - 4 cyl, just rolled over 200k km. This little truck gets me everywhere and hauls everything, it’s my favourite toy. I’m hoping to come across some inspiration for future projects (that don’t cost a fortune) and also enjoy seeing everyone’s pics. I’ve always held back from posting in forums - but as my truck hits a decade I’m here now to learn!

Hope to see you around.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Too bad you’re not closer to WV. ☺

Welcome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome! What have you done on your truck so far? The wheel package you have on there looks cool. There is obviously a ton of great info here (and some bad) to give you ideas. How long have you have it, or did you buy it new? It should last you a good long time. Just keep all of the fluids fresh and do your regular maintenance and it will be your favourite toy for years. The project I see from the pics that will help with that is an arduous frame scrub and coating. Least sexy project ever, but in the north we have to fight the battle.

·
Registered
11 Colorado
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! What have you done on your truck so far? The wheel package you have on there looks cool. There is obviously a ton of great info here (and some bad) to give you ideas. How long have you have it, or did you buy it new? It should last you a good long time. Just keep all of the fluids fresh and do your regular maintenance and it will be your favourite toy for years. The project I see from the pics that will help with that is an arduous frame scrub and coating. Least sexy project ever, but in the north we have to fight the battle.
Thanks for the welcome!

I bought it back in 2013 (on Jan 13th - yesterday! I’ll have to take it for an anniversary spin, ha!) It was a demo I picked up from a Honda dealer of all places with 7,000 km on it, so I consider myself it’s first owner.

bugger ... I’ve been putting off that thought but you’re probably right it could use a proper undercoating. I’ll look around for some advice on that.

I haven’t done too many things to it other than keep up with the maintenance and some minor things. I installed a small body lift and cranked the tortion bars, I stuffed the biggest summers I could under it (looks funny to me right now with its stock sized winters on), and I installed air bags to haul my quad in the back. I want to find someone who can make a set of rock sliders but I should do that after caring for the frame.

·
Registered
11 Colorado
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
11 Colorado
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice, love the color. You rubbing with those size tires?
Thanks! Just just barely. I swapped the stock mud flaps for a different style and they rub even less. I’m expecting next summer the tread will wear down to not rub.

·
Registered
11 Colorado
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am.

50/50 feeling on them. Not bad but not all that great either.
Shoot eh? What’s not to like? Did they mount solid or rattle? Awkward to climb over? Powder coat not holding up on them? :/ not what you want to hear when shopping for new parts.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Shoot eh? What’s not to like? Did they mount solid or rattle? Awkward to climb over? Powder coat not holding up on them? :/ not what you want to hear when shopping for new parts.
They don't rattle but you should have seen my expression when I saw that they mounted to the frame with self tappers. :rolleyes: Talk about a let down.

They are easy to climb over but are slicker than a minnows dick when they get wet. I have fallen off of them a couple times while getting my camping junk off the roof rack. To be fair, they aren't designed to be steps. I added traction tape to mine and it helps alot. Now my kid gets road rash every time she brushes up next to them.

The powder coat flakes off pretty quick. I have alot of rust on mine but I'm fairly hard on them. They flex more than I like but for light duty wheeling they are ok.

I'd recommend buying a universal weld on kit somewhere and have a local welder fit them to your truck. It will be more in depth but you'll get a better product. I'd also recommend simple rattle can paint for them so they are easily touched up after they take a few hits.

Just my thoughts. I don't know much other than what I've experienced. Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ahhh, another Jenn! (my sister's name ha!) That's a pretty truck, welcome!

I prefer pavement pounding and rowing my own gears though... Just traded in my 2006 for a 2012 a few weeks ago, a definite upgrade over all.

Welcome to the nation, please enjoy your stay! :cool:(y)

Reactions: neonjenn

·
Registered
11 Colorado
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just my thoughts. I don't know much other than what I've experienced. Take it for what it's worth.
I really appreciate the feedback! I'll see what I can find and keep these on the back burner as an option. Happy to support local if I can find other options! I'm basically looking for something in that style for protection on trails when on camping and quadding trips but I don't really need anything too serious. If they can prevent some stone chips too that would be an extra perk.
I'm super motivated to start looking!

·
Registered
11 Colorado
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhh, another Jenn! (my sister's name ha!) That's a pretty truck, welcome!

I prefer pavement pounding and rowing my own gears though... Just traded in my 2006 for a 2012 a few weeks ago, a definite upgrade over all.
Ha, thanks Colly Shifter! Well, some of us are lazy and like to just roll out there and enjoy the scenery. Glad you're enjoying your new to you Colorado! :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
When you get to the frame rust treatment, make sure you get into the frame. It's a boxed frame and tends to rust from the inside out, especially the driver's side. Welcome!

·
Registered
137 Posts
When you get to the frame rust treatment, make sure you get into the frame. It's a boxed frame and tends to rust from the inside out, especially the driver's side. Welcome!
When I treated my frame, on the advice of BackInBlack, I sprayed the inside of the frame rails and crossmember with Fluid Film. Also a good idea to get inside the doors and gate.
It's a couple weekends of work on the first go round, and be prepared to write off a couple sets of clothes.
I do an annual refresh in the late spring or summer to spot treat the areas that took a beating.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Fluid Film is great stuff, and easy to find. Its like a cocktail of lanolin (think hand lotion) with penetrating oil. It doesn't really dry - it keeps soaking into any rust and leaves a oily surface that repels water and seals out air. The trick is getting it into the frame. It comes in spray cans (with the little red plastic tube), but also in 1 gal cans (and 55 gal drums). To really get into the frame, you need something with long wands to push within the frame boxes that the fluid is blown through and through a nozzle to make it spray around. You may elect or need to drill some small holes into the frame as access points into the frame - which may obligate you to some rubber plugs to close the hole (and use again in the future for followup treatments). To go this route, you'd be buying it by the gallon. If you have an air compressor, there's a few options on ebay and other online outlets for kits that will do this. I've also seen people (online) use the pump cans used for insecticide and herbicide, but I'd think you'd need to make the nozzle tubes longer and holes a bit larger for the thicker fluid. Creativity will be your friend in that case.

Best of luck!
Ken

1 - 20 of 24 Posts