Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having lived way too long with the original factory radio and failing speakers in my 2004 Extended cab Z71, I decided to make some changes to my sound system.
Ordered yesterday from Crutchfield. Expected UPS delivery is Wednesday.
1 - Kenwood Excelon KDC-X798 CD Receiver
4 - Kicker 40CS654 6.5" Coaxial Speakers
and all related connectors and interfaces.
I'm not a teeth rattling type of guy so didn't go with an amp. Will have to wait and see how it all sounds before I say one way or the other on the amp.

Is it Wednesday yet?

·
Registered
182 Posts
You'll be happy with your replacements, even if they are coaxials. I've got cheap kicker ds65's in all four doors with a pioneer avh-2500bt unit and it sounds light years better than stock.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's always good to hear. Did a lot of reading on the nation before I even checked on any decks and speakers.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Kenwood FTW!!!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I've beat the crap out of my kickers for years and they still haven't blown.
They sound pretty good if you push some power to them as well!
Definitely amp them when you get the chance
:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I've got the older model of that HU, the 698. I'm using it to drive Polks, but the amp made it sound better. They are too power demanding for deck power. The amp just gives it more full sound. Of course it's louder too. I used to listen to it at 27-30 volume level. Now I can listen to it about 24-25, but the sound is much more clear, and very loud. I don't have any subs so it lack bass at the higher volumes. The amp I have is the Alpine KTP-445U. Simple wiring and the amp is behind the dash. It's just enough to wake up what is lost from the power hungry speaker.

It appears that the speakers you have selected aren't as power hungry as what I installed, so you should be all set. You will probably be short on bass, as it's common to replace speakers and have loss of bass over factory.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure my son-in-law will tell me it needs more bass so I'll probably end up getting an amp down the road. In the dash type will probably be the best way to go I would think. Any heat issues with the in dash types?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Even amped, door speakers don't product a lot of bass. It sounds full and rich and normal listening volumes, but the more you twist the knob the less the bass is matched to the highs.

I haven't noticed any heat issues with mine. This is the only amp that I've seen that can be tucked into the dash.

I want to purchase the Kicker Hideaway, just haven't made up my mind absolutely. Priorities.....I may want other toys instead, like camera lenses, etc.
On a budged, the Sound Ordnance 8" hideable sub is supposed to be pretty good too. I'm sure it's worth the money to help balance the sound.

I'd enjoy the fuller sound, just not sure that I want to pay for it. After listening to music in my house, I do miss the deeper bass tones in my truck.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I went with Kenwood H.U. And Kenwood 6.5 3 way speakers... I have been very happy with the setup... I think you will be also... Kenwood is the good stuff !!!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with Kenwood H.U. And Kenwood 6.5 3 way speakers... I have been very happy with the setup... I think you will be also... Kenwood is the good stuff !!!

That's good to hear.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having lived way too long with the original factory radio and failing speakers in my 2004 Extended cab Z71, I decided to make some changes to my sound system.
Ordered yesterday from Crutchfield. Expected UPS delivery is Wednesday.
1 - Kenwood Excelon KDC-X798 CD Receiver
4 - Kicker 40CS654 6.5" Coaxial Speakers
and all related connectors and interfaces.
I'm not a teeth rattling type of guy so didn't go with an amp. Will have to wait and see how it all sounds before I say one way or the other on the amp.

Is it Wednesday yet?

'HU and speakers arrived a day early, Tuesday late. Wednesday it rained on and off and since my service bay is the driveway, held off the install. Tuesday it was 60 degrees out, today Thursday, it's 17 and snowing. So much for getting the install done today.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This weather is bipolar...

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ain't that the truth - Some times I wish I lived south of the Mason Dixon:th_lurkingrr:

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got 2 new Kicker speakers installed in the truck this afternoon. Would have started sooner but I had to work on my brother-in-laws taxes this am.
I did make a mistake putting them in. Forgot to install them with the brackets….. had to have been a senior moment …. So tomorrow, I’ll be reinstalling them with the brackets.

Even with the old radio, as worn out as it is, the speakers sound pretty darn good. Not bad for $60+/- a pair. The new rear ones go in tomorrow along with the head unit if it’s not too cold out.
While I was at it and had the driver’s door apart, I added new bolts to the outside door handle from the inside. The ones that were in there kept loosening up so I got new ones and added a couple of lock washers to try and keep them tight. Since I had the door pulled apart, I decided to put some spray silicone in the window track. If you decide to do it, make sure when you push the nozzle while looking down through the window channel, the nozzle is not pointing up. Good thing I had glasses on. Went in the house and cleaned the glasses … took a while to get the stuff off. Also had to clean the window a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got the older model of that HU, the 698. I'm using it to drive Polks, but the amp made it sound better. They are too power demanding for deck power. The amp just gives it more full sound. Of course it's louder too. I used to listen to it at 27-30 volume level. Now I can listen to it about 24-25, but the sound is much more clear, and very loud. I don't have any subs so it lack bass at the higher volumes. The amp I have is the Alpine KTP-445U. Simple wiring and the amp is behind the dash. It's just enough to wake up what is lost from the power hungry speaker.

It appears that the speakers you have selected aren't as power hungry as what I installed, so you should be all set. You will probably be short on bass, as it's common to replace speakers and have loss of bass over factory.

I know someone commented about leaving the factory tweeters in the door during this install.... just can't seem to locate comment yet. Since we've got basically the same HU, you've added Alpine amp, did you pull the tweeters or leave them in. I can't seem to make up my mind which way to go. Tried with, then without.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I have component speakers, so the stock tweets were removed and replaced with the Polk ones.

You can leave yours in place since you are not touching them. Should you choose not to use them, just disconnect the plug to them and not cut them out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts