Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my 2004 Chevy Colorado crew cab I picked up for $450 the motor and trans are done. I have been looking for a Colorado for 3 years now never could bring myself to get one at market value. It would be my second rig and fun truck. A local ran this one into the ground was running on 4 out of 5 cylinders. Then the trans went it’s at around 250k. But bought it with some ambition to what it could be. This is a long term build for me. I’m thinking 6.0 ls with a 4l80 with a ratchet shifter, eventually a 203/205 triple stick with full width axles 35s and a camping setup for 2 people. Ambitious goals yes. But that’s why they are goals after all.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Welcome. Glad to see you have a cool project planned. Sounds like you’ll have a very capable and nearly bombproof setup once you’re done.

I like how clean the parking brake release handle is compared to the rest of the truck.😆

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Glad to see you have a cool project planned. Sounds like you’ll have a very capable and nearly bombproof setup once you’re done.

I like how clean the parking brake release handle is compared to the rest of the truck.😆
That’s true! I didn’t notice that till you pointed it out!😂 I’m exited it will take some time I’m in the locating parts stage so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@WV NATIVE I see your building your Colorado for a camping rig as well looked like you went to a overland expo? That’s is on my bucket lost for sure. Is your 2010 a factory LS with 4wd? I was having a hard time finding literature on if a LS 4wd Colorado came from factory and if they did how did they make it fit? I know on the LUV it took a decent body lift to make it work. But I wasn’t sure if I could leave the IFS for now and drop the motor and trans in and have a running truck. Until I have the funds to do the SAS.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
@WV NATIVE I see your building your Colorado for a camping rig as well looked like you went to a overland expo? That’s is on my bucket lost for sure. Is your 2010 a factory LS with 4wd? I was having a hard time finding literature on if a LS 4wd Colorado came from factory and if they did how did they make it fit? I know on the LUV it took a decent body lift to make it work. But I wasn’t sure if I could leave the IFS for now and drop the motor and trans in and have a running truck. Until I have the funds to do the SAS.
I was invited to attend the Expo with 4Wheeler Magazine but I cut the “Overland Adventure 2019” short and struck out on my own before I made it to Expo. I hate crowds and Expo is not my style anyway. Love the guys from 4wheeler magazine but the camping was a joke.

My heap has the LH9 5.3. It’s shoehorned in there but works well and is suitable for the truck. The V8 was a factory option form 09-12.

I’ve been dragging my feet on my SAS for a few YEARS. My truck works really well and it’s kinda hard to change what’s working. I’ll likely not put any more money in my ifs though. I’m done throwing money at hubs and alike.

·
2 timer
1,554 Posts
Greetings and welcome to here. Post picts as you get your rig working!

Reactions: SOS LS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely a good truck to take as a project! Have fun working on the front end - the 4x4 makes everything a pain right in the balls, everything's in the way, and if you live where they salt (it looks like you do), nothing comes apart without a torch and air hammer... but they're a beast in the snow. I drove mine to work in 31" of snow and (somehow) didn't get stuck.

Any idea what was wrong with the engine? Head problems, I assume...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely a good truck to take as a project! Have fun working on the front end - the 4x4 makes everything a pain right in the balls, everything's in the way, and if you live where they salt (it looks like you do), nothing comes apart without a torch and air hammer... but they're a beast in the snow. I drove mine to work in 31" of snow and (somehow) didn't get stuck.

Any idea what was wrong with the engine? Head problems, I assume...
Thankfully they use mostly gravel in Montana some Mag chloride some time on the road. It’s been a Montana truck it’s whole life. I’m the 4th owner and the same mechanic for the first 3 owners. That’s awesome they are fun in the snow we get lots up here. I check the rockers and fender when I bought it and no rust I could find so I was happy about that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.