Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 GMC Canyon Z85
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have done several engine swaps back in the day with old school engines. I did my first engine swap at 15 yo with a 283 and muncie 4 speed that my dad bought at a garage sale for $65 and put it in a 78 Chevy Luv pickup that my dad gave me back in 1983. I had great memories of that truck and I just acquired a 2005 GMC Canyon 4x4 for my 14 yo son that has a bad I5 engine. I want to give him the same experience I had putting a V8 into a small pickup. Since my day, Chevy has complicated the engine codes and tranny's with all the different fitments and electronics. I have spent hours going through the forum threads and still confused as to the best engine to use in a swap. It used to be either a SBC or BBC period. I give "hats off" to all you guys that can keep up with all the changes. I didn't have kits to do my previous swaps, just fabricated what we needed to accomplish the goal. Hope to get more information from this site to make this current project successful. Looking forward to talk to some of the experienced people on this thread to gain more knowledge on the new generation of motors that GM has to offer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome aboard! The LS series engines can be a little overwhelming when first starting, but with a little research its not too bad. Many of the engines are functionally the same but use different codes for Iron vs Aluminum block, or different codes for ones with variable timing. Once you learn which ones are basically the same, you're left with only a handful of choices.

I personally don't have facebook but there is a lot of good information on swapping our trucks over there, maybe someone else can link you to one of those groups. For starters, check out Current Performance Wiring. They are a wealth of information on these swaps and sell many parts you'll need to complete it. Other than that, search and read threads on here or even youtube. Its easier to search for specific swaps after you've decided on an engine since each one may have small differences.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Canyon Z85
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome aboard! The LS series engines can be a little overwhelming when first starting, but with a little research its not too bad. Many of the engines are functionally the same but use different codes for Iron vs Aluminum block, or different codes for ones with variable timing. Once you learn which ones are basically the same, you're left with only a handful of choices.

I personally don't have facebook but there is a lot of good information on swapping our trucks over there, maybe someone else can link you to one of those groups. For starters, check out Current Performance Wiring. They are a wealth of information on these swaps and sell many parts you'll need to complete it. Other than that, search and read threads on here or even youtube. Its easier to search for specific swaps after you've decided on an engine since each one may have small differences.
Thanks for the welcome and info..

·
Internet Troll
1,351 Posts
Greetings and Welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts