Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a really clean and well cared for 2012 GMC Canyon 4x4. I really like this truck, smooth and quiet ! I had a 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4, it was a decent vehicle but I need 4 doors to haul my grandson around.
The only issue I can find with the Canyon is that it has a slight memory steer problem. The steering wheel won't come back on center when you release it, if you are in a gentle turn and let go of the wheel it will continue to turn. Going down the highway you are constantly fighting from left -right/ right-left trying to keep it going straight. This has torsion bar front suspension with upper and lower ball joints. The only thing I can think of is a ball joint and or a tie rod binding ? I'm going have to jack it up, pull the tires off and move it around to see what I can find. It does have 150k miles so things are probably worn a bit up front.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'd take it to a good front end guy and have him check the caster adjustment. The best description I can give of the function of the caster adjustment is to think about the forks that the front wheel attach to on a bicycle. The forks go down and curve forward. This is what makes a bicycle tend to roll straight. This makes it possible as a kit to say: "Look Mom, no hands!". Theoretically, the caster adjustment makes the front wheels want to remain straight. If the upper and lower ball joints are in good shape and not binding and are still sealed and have grease in them, I'd consider having this checked out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts