Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Looks good, factory like. Just curious, on the truck or off the truck paint job? Did you do the rear bumper also? What surface prep was done to get maximum adhesion of the paint. This is just my opinion, but think the bow-tie and tow hooks should be the same color as your wheels.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looks sharp and pretty much factory! :cool:(y) I wanna see the rear bumper! :p

Yea, I'm curious about how you painted it too, did you use Plasti-Dip?

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Looks good. Adhesion to chrome isn't very good no matter how you prepped it unless you had the chrome stripped. Not sure on durablity of it. When I had my bumpers linex I bought replacement primed steel bumpers. To have the chrome stripped by a chrome shop was more than getting replacement bumpers for me.

·
Registered
2008 Chevy Colorado WT Z71 4WD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good, factory like. Just curious, on the truck or off the truck paint job? Did you do the rear bumper also? What surface prep was done to get maximum adhesion of the paint. This is just my opinion, but think the bow-tie and tow hooks should be the same color as your wheels.
I removed the bumpers entirely and then sanded for 8 hours consecutively using 80 and 160 grit roto sanding pads. I used self-corrosive primer and sent the bumpers to an body shop for them to do the rest.

I painted the tow hooks red because i thought they’d go better with the fog lights. Also, the bowtie is pretty close in color so i left it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bumpers look great! I really like your color choice.
FYI, the cheapest/easiest method to prep chrome for painting is to sandblast it. I offer wheel painting at my shop and have blasted dozens of chrome wheels then painted them. Never had a comeback for peeling or chipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love the bumpers! I really dislike shiny chrome but bought my 2015 Canyon used. Sadly I can’t do work like that myself and I don’t have the money to have them done professionally so will have to keep the shiny parts on my truck.

·
Internet Troll
1,384 Posts
I like it. I've always though the chrome looks out of place on these trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts