Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i start my truck everything is fine except the new radio didnt turn on. So i turned it on manually thinking its just off from the factory but as soon as it came on i lost power to the gauge cluster. Everything bottomed out and lights went off like they do when i shut the truck off but it kept on running fine. As soon as i turned the radio off it all came back on and acted fine. Ive looked over the wiring probably 10 times and everything matches both the radio diagram and the diagram that cane with the plug to plug into the stock harness. Whats wring with it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Humm, that should be the proper harness then.
Does the new stereo have an illumination circuit? Perhaps something is wonky with where you are supplying the factory feed for the HU illumination wire.

Any chance the ground isn't secured well? I know you said you checked but maybe make sure the ground is secure.

Also...what does "....everything bottomed out" mean?

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
YUP! know the problem. When installing a new head unit that draws more power. You need to add a chassis ground. A good place is the old radio rear mounting tab.

The radio and cluster share the same ground.
The problem is the inner driver side fender grounding block.
10mm bolt. open plastic cover and clean/repair the terminals.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,499 Posts
YUP! know the problem. When installing a new head unit that draws more power. You need to add a chassis ground. A good place is the old radio rear mounting tab.

The radio and cluster share the same ground.
The problem is the inner driver side fender grounding block.
10mm bolt. open plastic cover and clean/repair the terminals.
Interesting... Mental note.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Humm, that should be the proper harness then.
Does the new stereo have an illumination circuit? Perhaps something is wonky with where you are supplying the factory feed for the HU illumination wire.

Any chance the ground isn't secured well? I know you said you checked but maybe make sure the ground is secure.

Also...what does "....everything bottomed out" mean?
He means that all the needles on the cluster went dead like when you turn off the truck.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
yeah i have to shut my radio off or the truck won't crank when i try to start back up....idk what the problem is, if my amp is drawing to much power or what but if i do forget i have to disconnect the power wire from the batterie....when i forget all the electronics come on in the acc position but when i go to crank it all goes off and a mono tone comes from the chimes box, much like dragging fingernails across a chalk board. :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts