Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires for my stock Z85 4wd crew. My buddy gave me a set of 16" Chevy rims from his 2001 Tahoe. Does any one know if they will fit? Also what is the largest tire size I can put on my stock rims or the stock 16's?

The tires currently on my truck are 235 75 15's.

Any suggestions on lift kits will also be helpful because I am looking to lift the truck as well. Nothing too crazy maybe 2-4 inches.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Everyone has been asking lately, check these threads...

http://www.355nation.net/forum/lifting/133057-what-size-wheels-tires-w-3-lift.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/wheels-tires/132913-i-messed-up-like-idiot.html

If you search there are probably a thousand threads about just what you asked.

There are also lots of different set up on this list compiled by some members for easy viewing in one place...

http://www.355nation.net/forum/lifting/102122-lifted-wheel-tire-fitment-chart.html

The wheels from the Tahoe will fit, but you will have to bore the center whole out or buy spacers.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
The tahoe wheels will need the center bored out to 100.3mm to fit our hubs.

Torsion bar lift or body lift for 2 or 3 inches of lift. Sub frame lift for 4 inches of lift.

Or combine say a 1 inch torsion bar lift and 3 inch body lift for 4 inches of total lift.

Tire size depends on whether or not you lift and the offset/backspace of the wheels

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Also, if you don't have the proper resources to perform the work, look into some reputable off-roading shops in your area. They can offer some ideas and pricing for your vision(s). Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Everybody has an opinion on what size fits the stock Z85 wheels. FYI: Z85 wheels are skinny at just 6.5" wide.

Just get whatever you want. Tire manufacturers recommend a wheel for the tire you buy (it's not just a guess). If you truly want to know what tire fits your wheels (width), look up the chart on the tire manufacturer site as they all have slight variances. If you ask "what size", you will get all sorts of answers. I tend to go with the tire manufacturer first and make a decision surrounding that.

I increased my wheels to 16x8.5", lifted the rear 1.5" and made the truck sit level. Now I have 265/75-16" tires.

I actually wish they were shorter. My Z85 took a huge performance hit and economy is really lousy as well.

I won't address your question about lifts, it's been answered above.
I think you are about the 4th person in about a week to ask about the biggest tire, and best lift. Ahh, if it were that easy.

Unfortunately, now you're the one responsible for offloading the free wheels from your friend. Unless he will take them back. :) It's unfortunate that GM has two wheels sizes on the two popular trucks that are not at all interchangeable. It's soooo common for people doing exactly what you are trying to do, only to be let down after the fact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts