Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GMC Canyon SL ext. can
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello nation. I’m here because I have no knowledge of anything audio. I have a 2004 GMC Canyon Ext. cab and I’m looking to upgrade the trucks audio. So far the only thing I have done is upgrade the head unit. All of my door speakers have now blown except one. What I’m looking to do is replace all four door speakers and add my two 12” subs. To start what brands are good for door speakers in our trucks?(I typically listen to rap music) Also with all of these audio upgrades will it pull too much power from the truck? Any further advice or recommend brands for any aspect of the audio build is greatly welcomed. Thank you all

·
Registered
375 Posts
A good place to start IMHO is at crutchfield.com. They are some pretty helpful folks and the prices are hard to beat.

Their installation setup, the "Ready Harness" itself for your radio, installation instructions and pry tools available are very helpful as well.

With all that said, how much are you planning to spend? That is ultimately going to dictate what you buy most likely.

I will say most stuff like the radio itself (except for the wiring, thankfully Crutchfield's Ready Harness solves that) and speaker installation is not that terribly difficult. You will need to learn how to disassemble your dash components and your doors as well to get to the speakers.

However, wiring up and running a 12v lead from the battery in the engine bay, through the truck's firewall into the cab to the sub's amp is not a easy thing to do right and I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it for the first time without someone who's done this stuff before.

My next suggestion is to research how this is done and what all you will need to set this up.(youtube is a big help) I've had to go through this same process here recently with my own system in my truck, so I know it can be a bit overwhelming doing it for the first time.

Thankfully, I have a pretty good understanding of electrical systems and what needed to be done and my neighbor who helped me out with it had done this stuff before for years, but I had never installed a radio and powered sub up in a vehicle before.

My next questions are this: Are you going with a separate power amp and sub box setup? Or are you considering doing a powered sub? Powered subs will tend to be cheaper, smaller and easier to mount.

Your sub's speaker and poweramp wattage will ultimately determine how you will need to setup your power, if you are considering using ALOT of power, you may consider having to install a second battery (and maybe even upgrading your alternator!) to power it, as your system may be too demanding of the truck's electrical needs.

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good place to start IMHO is at crutchfield.com. They are some pretty helpful folks and the prices are hard to beat.

Their installation setup, the "Ready Harness" itself for your radio, installation instructions and pry tools available are very helpful as well.

With all that said, how much are you planning to spend? That is ultimately going to dictate what you buy most likely.

I will say most stuff like the radio itself (except for the wiring, thankfully Crutchfield's Ready Harness solves that) and speaker installation is not that terribly difficult. You will need to learn how to disassemble your dash components and your doors as well to get to the speakers.

However, wiring up and running a 12v lead from the battery in the engine bay, through the truck's firewall into the cab to the sub's amp is not a easy thing to do right and I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it for the first time without someone who's done this stuff before.

My next suggestion is to research how this is done and what all you will need to set this up.(youtube is a big help) I've had to go through this same process here recently with my own system in my truck, so I know it can be a bit overwhelming doing it for the first time.

Thankfully, I have a pretty good understanding of electrical systems and what needed to be done and my neighbor who helped me out with it had done this stuff before for years, but I had never installed a radio and powered sub up in a vehicle before.

My next questions are this: Are you going with a separate power amp and sub box setup? Or are you considering doing a powered sub? Powered subs will tend to be cheaper, smaller and easier to mount.

Your sub's speaker and poweramp wattage will ultimately determine how you will need to setup your power, if you are considering using ALOT of power, you may consider having to install a second battery (and maybe even upgrading your alternator!) to power it, as your system may be too demanding of the truck's electrical needs.

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as price I’m not really looking to dump a whole lot of money into it. Just trying to upgrade the system a little bit. I have the new head unit in and I have two 12” kicker subs now it’s just a matter of the door speakers and separate power amplifier. I looked on the website you provided(crutchfield) and they have tons of options. I was curious if you had any experience with kicker door speakers. I was looking at the kicker 47ksc6704 which shows 100 watts rms. I have decided to only do the front doors and the sub so I’m thinking that shouldn’t pull too much power. As far as installation I’m thinking it might be better if I go to my local audio shop to have professionals hook everything up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts