Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heys guys, new to the forum and posting in here for a buddy of mine. He's looking into putting a lift kit on his truck (2010 Colorado Z71 4WD crew cab). What is the best, and easiest to DIY. My truck was done as a factory lift so I've never done a lift before but we are both very mechanically inclined. Looked at the Rough Country 2.5'' ready lift but he wants to do a bit bigger like 3.5" or 4"...
Can anyone give us a starting point on this? He wants to clear 33's with 17s or 18s if possible.
Thanks in advance,
Gunnar

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
4 inch lift kit... rancho, skyjacker or tuff country make them.

Or combine a torsion bar lift ( results in a rough ride) and possibly a body lift with maybe some cutting/trimming to clear the tires but that depends on how wide the tire is and the offset/backspace of the wheels

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
What is a factory lift?

With our trucks, the best and the easiest are two different things. Like Greg said, torsion bar cranking is an option. I call that the easiest. But it isn't really 'installing a lift'. You are just turning a bolt and replacing the rear shackles. The rough country is just a spacer to install...and is likely unnecessary because you're can achieve the same lift height without installing the spacer.

The others are an actual lift kit (I'd call it best) and are not too often installed at home.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
4 inch lift kit... rancho, skyjacker or tuff country make them.

Or combine a torsion bar lift ( results in a rough ride) and possibly a body lift with maybe some cutting/trimming to clear the tires but that depends on how wide the tire is and the offset/backspace of the wheels
you forgot CST, that gives 5" right off the bat.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Or, you can do all three!

Grab a rancho kit (best bang for the buck for sure), SMaxx (1.5", my choice) or PA (3") body lift, then crank the torsion bars to level.

If you're not mechanically inclined, I would not suggest doing the TB crank and body lift route with 33's...there's more trimming and cutting and welding and grinding than you'll probably want to get into.

@08Canyon A factory lift is when you buy it off the lot with the lift kit already installed.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
cst has on there website that the 5" is no longer available

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
you forgot CST, that gives 5" right off the bat.
True and it's a great kit but not worth the extra $$$ for one more inch IMO. You can crank TBs for that extra inch but 4 inches is all that is needed to clear 33's :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Or, you can do all three!

Grab a rancho kit (best bang for the buck for sure), SMaxx (1.5", my choice) or PA (3") body lift, then crank the torsion bars to level.

If you're not mechanically inclined, I would not suggest doing the TB crank and body lift route with 33's...there's more trimming and cutting and welding and grinding than you'll probably want to get into.

@08Canyon A factory lift is when you buy it off the lot with the lift kit already installed.
Don't really need to do all that to fit 33's. Just a 4 inch kit. With 7+ inches of lift 33's would look small

·
Registered
17 Posts
i cant seem to find a lift for my truck. all the lifts ive came across for Z71's. I have a 2009 colorado lt. just a basic colorado. 4wd. need help

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I ran 33s for a Long Long time on my stock suspension with no body lift and no rub... was it the most ideal setup? No, but at the time I did not want to shell out the cash and just wanted a beefier look, the truck rarely went offroad so I did not care.... just fyi, its very possible to run 33s without a "lift kit".

Also, "keys" are a complete waste of money on these trucks unless your stock bars are sagged.. and if thats the case, getting new bars is a better option in my opinion as they are not expensive at all, if your an i5 you can upgrade to the V8 T-Bars.

The best "bang for the buck" is the Rancho kit at its current pricing, but you will need to spend some extra cash on an add-a-leaf for the rear since I believe it comes with rear shackles that almost never give the amount of lift everyone wants... also our stock leaf springs pretty much suck.

The CST lift kit is alot more coin, but if you dont want to do a body lift and want the tallest "suspension lift" without headaches, than this is your best option, as it will always allow you to be an extra inch taller than other kits.

It all depends and what budget your buddy has, what he actually uses the truck for and if he is willing to trim and chop a little or not.

Also, wheel widths and offsets play a Big Big factor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i cant seem to find a lift for my truck. all the lifts ive came across for Z71's. I have a 2009 colorado lt. just a basic colorado. 4wd. need help
The suspension lift components work fine on either the Z85 or Z71 4x4s. The only thing different might be the wheel offset you need to clear certain tires, as I believe the Z71 axle is slightly wider.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Yep, the 4x4's are the same. Get a Rancho kit or similar and it's the same.

Your 4x4 has torsion bars. So you can simply crank torsion bars if you're looking for like 2" or if you wanted it level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No 08Canyon i drive a 2012 GMC Sierra that has a factory 6" ProComp lift on it. My buddy is not the computer type so i told him i would get as much info on the subject as i could, so thats why i created this account. And to everyone else, he uses his truck to do a little off roading for deer and duck hunting here in east Texas and hes looking to get the "stuffed" look and gain ground clearance at the same time. 33's on 17's is the setup hes going for with his Z71 and we didnt know what brand was the easiest or best way to go so thats why i am here. Thank you to all you guys and the information yall provided, it really helps a lot

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
No 08Canyon i drive a 2012 GMC Sierra that has a factory 6" ProComp lift on it. My buddy is not the computer type so i told him i would get as much info on the subject as i could, so thats why i created this account. And to everyone else, he uses his truck to do a little off roading for deer and duck hunting here in east Texas and hes looking to get the "stuffed" look and gain ground clearance at the same time. 33's on 17's is the setup hes going for with his Z71 and we didnt know what brand was the easiest or best way to go so thats why i am here. Thank you to all you guys and the information yall provided, it really helps a lot
I'm sure it looks nice, whatever that is. :D

If he wants stuffed tires, he may just get away with shackles and TB crank then going with 33x10.5.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
Factory ProComp lift? No. You must have one of those overpriced Rocky Ridge trucks huh?

Factory truck.
Aftermarket lift conversion company.
Sold with factory warranty from dealerships.

As for your buddys 355....Rancho and a 1.5" body lift with 33's is a nice stance that should please him. Add a little crank and an AAL and can run 35's if he wants too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha nahh not one of those over the top Rocky Ridges, the dealership actually lifts some of the trucks they get in from the factory. I got my truck for a steal, last 2012 on the lot in 2013. But anyway thats beside the point. Thank you again guys, and silver10can ill show him the your advice and see what he thinks. Lots of great looking trucks on here, i love the way yours looks btw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, the 4x4's are the same. Get a Rancho kit or similar and it's the same.

Your 4x4 has torsion bars. So you can simply crank torsion bars if you're looking for like 2" or if you wanted it level.
So it doesn't matter if my truck isn't a z71, as long as it's a 4x4 I can get a lift even tho it says for a z71

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Yes. Plenty of 4x4 z85s on here with 4 inch lift kits

1 - 20 of 31 Posts