Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
05 Colorado 4 door 2wd, 3500 I5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 05 LS Sport 3.5l 2wd from the original owner with 121k miles. I have had s-10s for the last 15 years, and in comparison the colorado drives better, runs better, and is noticably better designed. But I hear it can have head gasket problems, which is typical of GM since at least 1980. For some reason they would rather have people hate them than just spend $5 more on better bolts and gaskets (ask anyone who owned a 90's 6.5 turbo diesel, I have 2!) But I also hear that if it never overheats, it may never have a problem. What is the consensus?

How did they lower the ride of the sport? Just with springs, or is the spindle dropped? Ebay listings show the same ball joints and wheel bearings for the various models.

And lastly I am always thinking of possible future engine and trans combos. Is the bellhousing pattern the conventional Chevy?

·
Registered
217 Posts
it was not a head gasket issue but a head issue it is the valve seats and guides that fail/have issues a reman head or a valve job is the fix.

·
Registered
05 Colorado 4 door 2wd, 3500 I5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how likely is the problem with proper maintenance and normal driving?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I drive and '04 with the 3.5 and it turned 237,000 miles today. Never had a valve/head problem and runs great! I know the reputation is that all of them have valve problems, but mine is great! I change the oil every 5,000 miles and fix problems as I discover them and this truck has been incredibly dependable and I'd crank it up and drive it across country without hesitation if the situation arose where I needed to make that trip. Great truck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts