Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

New to trucks in Utah

1K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  rshadd 
#1 ·
Hey guys-
I just bought my new 2009 GMC Canyon. I'm new to the truck world and really didn't do enough research before I bought this truck. I went shopping with a small truck mentality. It had to have 4 doors and be 4 wheel drive. I liked the look of the Canyon and so I signed on the dotted line. This is my first truck ever. I moved to Logan, Ut from Las Vegas and have never needed to worry about snow or ice or anything like that. I've previously built up 2 firebirds and a corvette but am really confused with how different trucks are in the suspension world. (lifting instead of lowering is weird to me...)

All that said, I'm wondering if someone can help a noob out and tell me how to tell if my truck is a Z71 or Z85 or ZQ8(?). I bought it used and so the stickers and flares could have been removed. Here's all I know. 3.7L I5 engine. 4 wheel drive. Automatic. No flares or stickers anywhere. (last owner debadged everything.).

I have the VIN if that helps anything, but I couldn't find a decoder anywhere that gave me stock information.

Thanks and I look forward to using these forums to learn and eventually teach others...

Kyle

See less See more
#6 ·
That's a safe bet :lol: A 4x4 will only be a Z85 or Z71, and only one will be listed in the RPO codes. I'm not sure what the rest mean, also not sure on the differences on Z85 vs. Z71 (I'm a 2wd lowered kinda guy) There is a great deal of info here and plenty of great members. Enjoy the ride!

:welcome2:

#7 ·
Yes, that is the Z85 (base) suspension option.

Also, check the driver side door jamb for the manufacturing sticker. The tire size is probably 235/75-16.

The RPO code is the for sure identifier though.

http://www.aly-kotah.com/rpo.pdf

Tip of the day:
4x4 use is not intended for road use. Only engage and drive on slippery surfaces that allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds on the same axle (like one tire can slip).

#16 ·
Welcome. Logan's a good place...I'd live there again. FWIW you'll decrease it's ability in 4WD if you lower it much, and you'll have other issues if you raise it a lot. I can tell you there are days in Logan that you'll be happy you got the extra traction of 4WD.

One more tip if you've never driven snow much, 4WD doesn't give you anything in the braking department. Can't tell you how many close calls I saw while there for college where a Jeep/Truck usually with California, Arizona (southern) plates would be flying down the road in the snow, and then fly through the stop light/sign with a freaked out expression on their face because their "brakes didn't work".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.