Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm going to have to get a new truck. I'm driving a 2006 Colorado and it has been a great truck. Drove it off the showroom floor in 2006 and have been happy with it ever since. It's coming up on 10 years though and the new Colorado seems to be enticing me with a diesel motor under the hood. I'm not really a big fan of the bodystyle, but I think I could suffer through with it. I'm still looking at a Toyota Tacoma because they are really nice trucks as well, but no diesel. Anyway... question is, what is the overall opinion so far. Of course I have read and watched countless reviews and most of the information I have found has been quite positive, but I'm trying to get beyond the marketing and get some real world input from people. Give me the the good, the bad, and the ugly. want to know what I'm getting into before I commit to a $40k rig.... fuck these things are expensive now.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
Firs thing, all vehicles are expensive now. I had a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS and it priced for just at $40K brand new. I just put together the exact car for the new 6th gen, 2016 model, and it is now a $52K car.

But as far as opinions:

The good: Excellent all around. comfort, styling, handling (even for a truck), interior and technologies. I had a 2008 Colorado LT and it was fully loaded for it's time when I got it brand new off the show room floor. That thing would be comparable to this gens work truck. It's put together nicely and well done. It's not "truckie" and cheap like the first gens. A lot of people don't keep their subscription to Onstar after their trial period but I did and love it. I have mine synced up with my phone so with the onstar app so I can do so much with that. 24 hour GPS tracking, basic vehicle diagnostics, and remote start, all from my phone.

Ez down tailgate and rear step bumper, awesome!!! Even with the size increase over the first gen, not as tremendous as people really think they are when you put them side by side, but is still noticeable.

Projector headlights and fog lights, awesome!!! I've upgraded mine to an HID/LED combo so I can see plenty in front of me.

Bose system with nav and 8" touch screen, awesome!!! Now if you plan to do a personal stereo upgrade, do not get this stock upgrade. So much integration with this system it's a nightmare to try and upgrade.

Floor shifter, better than on the tree (my opinion). Gives you that more of a car feel.

The bad: No V8 .... yet.

The Canyon looks too much like a Sierra and has no individualism. No stock HIDs, even with the projectors. Not so much an issue as they can be swapped out, but you would think with a $40K vehicle that HIDs would be stock on the upgraded headlights.

Halogen bulbs all around. Once again with the price of the vehicle, and today's technologies, you would think they could have upgraded the remaining halogen bulbs to LED. But once again, not too terrible as they can all be changed.

Transmission shift points. I've been working with James on a tune for these new models and James has decoded the files and determined GM has programmed a small delay in some of the shift points, thus resulting in lots of people complaining the transmission does not suit "their" driving needs.

The ugly: The whiny little bitches who complain that for the price of a Colorado, that you can get a full size. Well guess what, for the price of my $40K truck, I could have gotten lots of vehicles!!!

Just sayin: I have the V6 which has some nice giddy up to it, especially since the newer trucks are a few hundred pounds heavier. I can't say about the 4 cyl gas model on what power they have (driver experience wise, not factory numbers) and of course the diesels just started hitting the dealers now,

The laser blue that I have, is not listed as a metallic paint, but sure enough, it clearly is. However, in certain shades of light, it will show a purplish appearance.

I know you said you weren't happy with the looks of the Colorado, have you tried a Canyon.

Here is a picture of mine, and someone else's Canyon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Pull the trigger !!!
Awesome truck !!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I didn't realize the canyon and colly looked so different now. I think I'll have to go find a canyon and take a peak at it. That looks more my style. Tomorrow is a new day!

Thanks for moving the post. Wasn't really sure where to ask.

One more question. Any word on if they will produce that sexy zr2? That's what I really want. Wish they would make one.

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
553 Posts
I didn't realize the canyon and colly looked so different now. I think I'll have to go find a canyon and take a peak at it. That looks more my style. Tomorrow is a new day!
Personally I think this is one of the best features that GM took into account for the new models. I'm more than happy with my first gen, but I feel like by providing two drastic different faces the new 700's appeal to a much wider audience. Even if you don't like one, there's a better chance you'll like the other

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Other than magazine and online reviews, not much actual experience on the diesel motor...the reports are good (advanced technology, quality design & economical). We'll have to wait for the true review, when a member gets in the saddle.

I know I'm definitely intrigued...:D

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The ugly: The whiny little bitches who complain that for the price of a Colorado, that you can get a full size. Well guess what, for the price of my $40K truck, I could have gotten lots of vehicles!!!
Go ahead and call us whiny little bitches but you miss the point of the argument because we actually use our trucks which it takes to understand the standpoint. Fullsize front and rear diff vs. Colorado front and rear diff, you buy a midsize because it's smaller compared to a fullsize and now they are not far off to justify, v8 or the 4.3L v6 in the fullsize which people seem to favor because it's a simpler and easier to maintain design in both over the 3.6L and the diesel is a first year engine so that's a scary thought to some, plus a stronger frame and a little higher cargo and tow capacity, and lastly a little extra room which those with a family could use.

It's just being practical and thinking things through about a large purchase. If you buy a truck that you are going to keep for 10 years like this guy probably will, it would be smart idea for him to look at all options. Like the op said it's a $40K decision.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Fullsize front and rear diff vs. Colorado front and rear diff, you buy a midsize because it's smaller compared to a fullsize and now they are not far off to justify, v8 or the 4.3L v6 in the fullsize which people seem to favor because it's a simpler and easier to maintain design in both over the 3.6L and the diesel is a first year engine so that's a scary thought to some, plus a stronger frame and a little higher cargo and tow capacity, and lastly a little extra room which those with a family could use.
That is an amazing sentence.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LoL, good stuff. I'm gonna go look at trucks tomorrow. From the sounds of things though, getting a diesel might be a bit tough. The guy I talked to at the chevy dealership said they were not expecting any diesel's until July...

Going to GMC tomorrow. See what I can find.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
Go ahead and call us whiny little bitches but you miss the point of the argument because we actually use our trucks which it takes to understand the standpoint. Fullsize front and rear diff vs. Colorado front and rear diff, you buy a midsize because it's smaller compared to a fullsize and now they are not far off to justify, v8 or the 4.3L v6 in the fullsize which people seem to favor because it's a simpler and easier to maintain design in both over the 3.6L and the diesel is a first year engine so that's a scary thought to some, plus a stronger frame and a little higher cargo and tow capacity, and lastly a little extra room which those with a family could use.

It's just being practical and thinking things through about a large purchase. If you buy a truck that you are going to keep for 10 years like this guy probably will, it would be smart idea for him to look at all options. Like the op said it's a $40K decision.
I certainly don't miss the point of the argument. Everyone buys what they deem as a necessity for their own personal needs. Someone who does a lot more heavier duties will need something more along the lines of a full size. Some one like myself, who does some hauling and minor towing, doesn't NEED the full size. And on top of that, I enjoy the bells and whistles.

So when someone asks me about my truck, and then asks what the sticker was, why is it the first thing someone needs to respond with is "for that price, you could have gotten a full size" No shit I could have gotten a full size, but I personally don't need a full size, nor did I want a full size. Why doesn't someone say "You could have gotten an Impala" or "you could have gotten a Mustang"

That's my whole point.

And that's why we have these wonderful things called choices and options.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
To each their own... I wanted a Colorado and that is exactly what I went and bought.... Do not want a diesel engine.... Did not want a GMC.
Why is it that some people need to project the buying habits of others on everyone that is in the truck market.... Buy it or shut up about it !!! Carry on !!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So they had this at the dealership today. Kinda interesting. not exactly what I want, but if I can get this with a warranty... kinda want.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts

So they had this at the dealership today. Kinda interesting. not exactly what I want, but if I can get this with a warranty... kinda want.
Got a nice stance to it !!!
Good luck with your search !!!

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So after hunting around for the last week. I've got it narrowed down, but not looking like I can get into one before April. Here's to the wait.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sux to wait, but you know the saying...good things come...:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts