Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have an 08 canyon 2.9l 5speed sitting on 31's with 15 inch mountain crawler wheels. I currently have a jet MAF, a k&n cai, and a flowtech muffler. After I put the air intake on I lost some power and found it bogging out quite a bit and have to downshift a lot. Looking to see if anyone can help me out with a solution to why im losing power. Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
you could just be noticing the effect of larger tires on your motor...can i ask what rear end ratio you have?

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Welcome to the"Nation" !!! Check the RPO Codes in your glove box to find out what gear ratio your truck has among alot of other things about your truck ....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3.73 ratio. Feels like it has to do more with motor issues. Any budget friendly upgrades I should do besides what I have?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Sounds logical that you changed the torque curve with your CAI from K&N. Have you seen their dyno results....how power is increased at top end. That would have a relationship to steal from the low end.

Sort of like a 4bbl carb not developing as much low end as the increase in top end.

IF you did all the work at the same time, then it is for sure your tire size. I'll take a stab and guess the factory tire is was 225/75-15?

If the tires have been on for a while, and you just did the intake, then the intake is for sure the blame. If the intake has been on and you just installed tires, then it's for sure the tires to blame.

Or maybe it's that MAF Sensor you installed. Cheapest and most simple is to reinstall your stock MAF Sensor (if you still have it).

You made it sound as if it was more powerful before you did the intake. In which case, see my opening comment, low end to gain top end performance.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Look into a tune (and while doing so, remove the Jet MAF) -- what is your budget?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it is the intake, it started when I put it on then I installed the MAF, at first it helped but then it went back to losing power. Don't wanna spend much more than another $200-$300 (getting married next year). I was hoping that putting the intake on would help with power and make up for the lost mpgs with the bigger tires. Stock tires were 235-75-15. Thought about a tune or chip if that would help? or throttle body spacer? Thanks for the help so far!

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Skip the chip and the spacer !!! The money would be better spent other places....IMO Good luck with your upgrades !!:salute:

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Remove the jet MAF it's probably not reading correctly with the stock programming. Also the intake will shift the powerband to higher in the rpm range and kill power in the low ranges because of their nature.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
:welcome2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts