Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2012 colorado 3lt zq8 with the 5.3 last week. Black with 52k miles. Hope to learn alot from this forum!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Welcome to 355Nation!
Lots of upgrades and mods can be done to greatly improve performance without going inside the motor. Open up the intake of the factory air cleaner housing, switch to a K&N or AEM air filter, install a Supermod ported throttle body, then get a Supermod street tune to match your driving habits. It made a hugh difference to my 5.3 and I get 2 mpg more (if I keep my foot out of it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to 355Nation!
Lots of upgrades and mods can be done to greatly improve performance without going inside the motor. Open up the intake of the factory air cleaner housing, switch to a K&N or AEM air filter, install a Supermod ported throttle body, then get a Supermod street tune to match your driving habits. It made a hugh difference to my 5.3 and I get 2 mpg more (if I keep my foot out of it).
Thanks! What exactly are you meaning by open up the factory air cleaner?? Just changing the filter out or something more than that?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Thanks! What exactly are you meaning by open up the factory air cleaner?? Just changing the filter out or something more than that?
More than that. Physically remove the lower half of the housing from the inner fender via three or four mounting bolts. The input opening of the housing has an over-engineered adapter installed that slips inside the fender opening where the fresh air is. Remove this adapter and replace with a circular plastic gutter pipe adapter (3.5" to 4" adapter). Length will need to be trimmed for a perfect fit. The 3.5" goes inside the fender opening, the 4" slips over the box opening. It may take one or two test fits to get the correct length trimmed. The new adapter should be flexible enough the conform to the fender opening and remounting of the lower half of the housing will hold it in place by force (compression). This should get you about an extra 1/2 inch more OD opening for intake air flow.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
More than that. Physically remove the lower half of the housing from the inner fender via three or four mounting bolts. The input opening of the housing has an over-engineered adapter installed that slips inside the fender opening where the fresh air is. Remove this adapter and replace with a circular plastic gutter pipe adapter (3.5" to 4" adapter). Length will need to be trimmed for a perfect fit. The 3.5" goes inside the fender opening, the 4" slips over the box opening. It may take one or two test fits to get the correct length trimmed. The new adapter should be flexible enough the conform to the fender opening and remounting of the lower half of the housing will hold it in place by force (compression). This should get you about an extra 1/2 inch more OD opening for intake air flow.
TYPO: I meant an extra 1/2 inch more ID opening for intake air flow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts