Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, It's interesting the amount of Colorado owners around NE that have rotted frames. I was one
until Dec. I have an '05 Ext. cab 2WD Z71, bought it new, been a great truck. Started smelling gas and saw
the usual rust on top of tank and one REALLY rotted frame. Thought of buying a new truck but did not want
to spend close to $40K to replace what I have. Mine was $25K new. So I got a clean frame from Texas and
had it done. The shop replaced all suspension parts, brake lines, new tank, actually found one, and lots and
lots of parts. Got it back and it's like driving it when new. Cost around $13K but worth it. Just couldn't buy a
new truck, did not want payments. Hard time finding some parts for '05's that have Z71. Rock Auto made
out well. Given the option I would do it again instead of buying new. The new Colorado's are too large, almost
like previous full-size trucks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It is a fairly common issue, especially as our trucks are ageing now. There have been a couple threads recently about re-frames or extensive repairs to rusted out chassis. I have learned a lot about chassis care over the past few years that will help keep my vehicles intact longer. Whether I got them new or used, like you, I am a "till death do us part" guy with my vehicles.
That was a big investment in the truck you love. I hope it gives you many years of service. How many miles are on the truck now?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Drivers side frame rail back by the rear suspension mounts, and also just by the rail drop behind the front suspension are notorious rot locations.

We think alike - I'd do a frame swap in less time then I'd spend shopping for a new truck, and rebuild the suspension along the way, along with full rust treatment inside and outside the frame - it'd be like a new truck. Everything else is component swap/rebuild repairable. A lot of work, but I'd know the truck inside-and-out and have full confidence it'd serve me well for quite a few more years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What "05 Z71" parts did you have trouble finding? (I have an 05 Z71, BTW).
The rear leaf springs, shackles and bushings. Forget searching for a brake kit, NLA. Gotta make your own. For some reason the torsion bar key for driver side is NLA, psngr is available. I could have them mixed up but one is nla. Shocks were scarce also, cheap crappo ones are out there but I went with Bilsteins. Gas tanks, rarer than ever, Finding one that's doesn't have a rusty fuel pump mount can be challenging. Frames can be a little troublesome but they are out there. The axle U-bolts to spring mount took some searching. By the time I found them the shop had them made. Some parts had to sourced at GM dealer, I do not like dealerships but had to. Front body mount bushings, mounting clips for rad. shroud, lower rad. hose, and a few other things. I'll go thru my pile of receipts and list them for you. I'll also ID the vendors I went to for parts. Having the Z71 label made it difficult. I felt like Indiana Jones searching for the holy grail. Unless you can do it yourself finding a shop you trust is fun. If your in the NE area call these guys. 'SynergyAutolab' in Londonderry NH. I've been going to them for years. At my advanced age I don't work on my cars much anymore, got 6 now. If you to go to their site the third photo is my Lotus stripped naked for some serious upgrades. They like working on high-end stuff but they're young guys and they'll take on just about anything. I'll get back to you with vendor lists. Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a fairly common issue, especially as our trucks are ageing now. There have been a couple threads recently about re-frames or extensive repairs to rusted out chassis. I have learned a lot about chassis care over the past few years that will help keep my vehicles intact longer. Whether I got them new or used, like you, I am a "till death do us part" guy with my vehicles.
That was a big investment in the truck you love. I hope it gives you many years of service. How many miles are on the truck now?
It was 5 miles over 100K. I had the inside coated with some magic solution sprayed inside the frame to counteract the rust promoter GM coated it with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was 5 miles over 100K. I had the inside coated with some magic solution sprayed inside the frame to counteract the rust promoter GM coated it with.
Forgot to mention my truck had rust on front and rear spring mounts, front body mounts and the worst of all was between the cab and bed, right at the fuel tank. Was about to split, coulda been a crispy critter.

·
Internet Troll
1,305 Posts
Welcome BondoBob.

I pity you guys in the winter salt belt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts