Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got everything installed yesterday. I've got 2" Belltech drop balljoints, 2" Belltech blocks, JTR crossmember and Monroe MA759. It took me 11 hours and I'm feeling it today, but I did it all by myself. So if your wanting to do the work but don't have an extra hand, it can be done. The only issue I really ran into was with the lowering balljoints. I don't know if my lower control arms had been replaced or are OEM, but I had problems with the spacer that fits inside the lower control arm. There was a support rib inside that prevented the spacer from going all the way in to line up with the holes. Also the spacer was slightly thicker that the balljoint it replaced. The first side I put it was wedged pretty good and I didn't realize the rib in the back would hit before it was too late. So it went in far enough that I couldn't get it back out. So I had to beat it into submission to get it in all the way. The other side I used my grinder with a flapper wheel to take off just a little bit of the thickness no I could move it in and out without too much hassle. Then I had to notch the back side of the spacer to swallow that rib that was in there. It was a major pain on that first one, and with all the reading I've done about this setup I hadn't seen anyone that had those troubles. So if you're looking to do this its worth checking.

Here's that rib that I was hitting.

And here's the finished product. I currently have 30PSI in the rear shocks. I'll probably play around with it a little bit to find the sweet spot of where i like it.

And here's a before picture to get an idea.

If you have any questions about the install feel free to ask.

Victor

·
Registered
833 Posts
Still needs moar low. But looks good.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,474 Posts
Looks good man, I've never had that problem before or have I ever seen a control arm like that. Weird.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still needs moar low. But looks good.
I know, I know. But I drive a lot for work, sometimes a few hundred miles a day, and with a few hundred pounds of tools and equipment. So it had to stay reasonable......for now. And thats what I love about these Monroe shocks. I can adjust for the load or lack there of and keep it level. Ive already dropped down to 22psi in the shocks and it brought it down to almost the same wheel gap as the front and looks a lot better.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
What year is yours? I didn't run into that on my 06 z85. Never heard of this problem before. Ive never even looked into the arm to see what was in there.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Honestly thats the first time I have seen that issue with the LCA.

It took me only about 3 hours to do mine the first time.....but I had previous experience with dropping the front of 355s

Looks mucho bettah

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year is yours? I didn't run into that on my 06 z85. Never heard of this problem before. Ive never even looked into the arm to see what was in there.
It's an '05 ZQ8.

Victor

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Rex450 do you have a link or some pics of the parts you installed, I'm thinking of doing this to my 2010 crew next year and may fabricate some of the parts myself, looks good by the way! and what was the cost if you don't mind my asking, thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the Belltech balljoints and blocks kit from AutoAnything.com. Here are a couple screenshots of what I bought. They're always changing their promotions but when I bought it, it was under $250.

I bought the high ground clearance crossmember from jagsthatrun.com for $150 shipped. And lastly I bought a set of Monroe air shocks from Advance Auto for about $60. Really the only part I would fab would be the crossmember, and its fairly easily done, I just didn't want to take the time to do it, but there's a How To with measurements and everything for it.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-chassis-suspension/18194-how-build-your-own-low-profile-transmission-cross-member.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts