Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 09 GMC canyon SLE w/3.7L engine. I have done a search and have followed all the previous diagnosis for no brake lights which included changing out the bulbs the fuse AND the obvious brake light switch but still no brake lights.One thing i found today was when I hook up my boat, the trailer has brake lights but not my truck. I am so lost for what to look for. Does anyone have any clues?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I drive a 09 GMC canyon SLE w/3.7L engine. I have done a search and have followed all the previous diagnosis for no brake lights which included changing out the bulbs the fuse AND the obvious brake light switch but still no brake lights.One thing i found today was when I hook up my boat, the trailer has brake lights but not my truck. I am so lost for what to look for. Does anyone have any clues?

Thanks
Bill
It's gotta be something with the wiring between the connector under the bed to the housings then. Cause it's getting power to the connector that's on the frame if ur trailer lights work.

G

·
0 Posts
Hello kilrbil,

I understand that you are looking for technical advice or a diagnosis for the vehicle issue your are experiencing. As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information. If you have any lingering concerns please contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Hello kilrbil,

I understand that you are looking for technical advice or a diagnosis for the vehicle issue your are experiencing. As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information. If you have any lingering concerns please contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
We're still waiting patiently for info on why the BCM goes all goofy when the batttery is disconnected and how to correct it when it happens.

G

·
0 Posts
Rick_crew,

I understand that you have some questions and would like some technical information. I cannot provide you with that information because I am not a licensed technician. If you would like for me to set up an appointment for you with your local dealership where you can discuss your issue with a technician, I would be happy to assist.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
My apology to kilrbil for derailing his thread.

I hope you find an answer.

GM Customer Service...
Thanks, I'll take this up with you by PM if I may.
Please excuse me for a day or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Np Rick crew
I have tried everything I know but I can't seem to locate the source of the problem so I guess I'll have to bring my truck in to a Mechanic. I hate not knowing the problem but it's going on too long to be driving without brake lights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this might sound stupid but do you have cruise control? Like when you engage it does it stay on? On my 08 Canyon, I had no brake lights and no cruise control. Doing some research there's a stop light switch where your brake pedal is. It's looks almost like a T, white in color that plugs in. I replaced mine and got my tail lights and cruise control back.

Try this part number out..mine are AC Delco but these are Standard Motors, still should do the same thing and there should be a thread on her about changing it. Not hard at all to do I just can't remember how to do it right off

Part Number
28781-07042007

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doodle...I appreciate the input and the brake light switch is the first thing I replaced following the advice I got on here. I am at a loss so I made an appointment for next Monday (04/28/14) at the dealership. Once I find out the problem I will report it back here in case some one in the future runs into the same problem. Thank you for your input every little bit helps.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Look where the trailer connector connects to the stock wiring plug for the lights. Disconnect it and make sure there is no corrosion or bend pins. Test the wiring there for power if toy have power for the brake lights then remove the tail lights and check that area of the wiring. If the trailer is getting power but the tail light bulbs are not like many have said it seems to be wiring. I know this sounds like I'm crazy but stranger than have happened, ohm the bulbs to make sure they are good. If you don't have an ohmmeter just hook to the batter with a length of wiring. If they are good with the light housing loose disconnect the wiring connector under the bed and remove and chech those wires also look at the light sockets to make sure you don't have a problem there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts