Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today heading home from a semi long trip (about 280 miles total) my truck randomly died on the interstate. At first I thought it might be the passlock acting up but after trying the reset 4 times I still had no luck. I can hear the fuel pump turn on but it creates no pressure. My truck is a 2008 and from what I can gather I have to fuel filter. Nothing like this has ever happened before and no code is thrown.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Brad,

I'm sorry to hear of this concern happening on the way home from your trip. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to take a further look into your concern. Please send us a private message if we can be of any assistance. Thank you.

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Sorry to ask, but you confirmed you have no fuel pressure?

You didn't say why you say it doesn't have pressure....

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I saw an article a few days ago about the FPCM leaking, with water getting in and corroding the circuit and connections.

Mounting that thing underneath the chassis that way is about as damn stupid as it gets.
What the hell were they thinking?

If I had a later model with the FPCM I'd be pulling that thing and looking for a way to secure it from water and road-stuff.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I saw an article a few days ago about the FPCM leaking, with water getting in and corroding the circuit and connections.

Mounting that thing underneath the chassis that way is about as damn stupid as it gets.
What the hell were they thinking?

If I had a later model with the FPCM I'd be pulling that thing and looking for a way to secure it from water and road-stuff.
good call I think that was the 08+ trucks when they went to the new PCM set-up.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I don't know that particular unit, but...

Generally speaking the FPCM is a control-unit that modulates the fuel pump motor speed to control fuel pressure.
The output from the FPCM to the motor is pulse-width modulated to control speed.

There's a fuel-pressure sensor at the engine which provides feedback to the unit.
When the pressure is lower, the FPCM runs the pump motor faster to increase pressure.
When the pressure is higher the FPCM runs the pump motor slower.

Why the hell they would have thought to mount that unit under the chassis is beyond me. It doesn't even need to be near the fuel-tank. Under the driver's seat would work just as well.

The only place on the truck that would be more stupid than under the chassis would be in the fuel tank, or maybe bolted to the side of the exhaust manifold.

Brad,
I'm pretty sure that if you turn the key to ON, but don't hit the starter, the pump should run for about one second. You should be able to hear it.
You may need to have someone turn the key for you so you can stand beside the truck near the tank and listen..

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Glad you got it rolling again!
:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts