Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently destroyed the torque converter in my V8 swap thinking it was a weak unit. I removed it today and found out there was no oil inside. Being not an expert of 4l60, Could someone tell what can cause the oil not to go from the tranny to the TC? (Solenoid? Sealing?...) to know what to look at and what to order. BTW, I tried TO turn the stators inside the TC, and there is no résistance at all, I think it is completely dead (Is it the correct way TO check the TC)thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found out the oil was in the lower part of the TC. I think the TC was not strong enough. Time for à new one

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
did you fill it before you installed it ? did you start it up and shift it thru the gears
before you drove it ? the oil needs to be circulated for a short time to fill up the
conv before you put a load on it. or the front pump is not working.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Was there enough fluid in it................I swear I'm not trying to insult you

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I installed it, I put oil till the hole level, and today, I found same level, but it appeared slowly due to the clutch, impeller inside.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
what hole ?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is only one hole on the converter, lol. From where you can see the inside of the TC. I filled with TC in vertical position of course.

Attachments

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
I know they are pricey, but I think TCI has 'verters now that can be rebuilt

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think that's the drain hole, i filled mine thru the pump hole.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I know they are pricey, but I think TCI has 'verters now that can be rebuilt
all convertors can be cut open and rebuilt.

I think that's the drain hole, i filled mine thru the pump hole.
drain hole? i put at least 3 qts in the pictured hole. once the motor is started fill the trans up with about 2 gallons or so of fluid.

then drive it slow, forward, back.

then hit the trans brake, brink it up on the stall and lay down some fat tracks!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Transmission Specialties can rebuild your convertor. But weigh your options might be worth buying a new one. I bought a 2800-3300 stall convertor from them for my TH400. Moves my Chevelle really nice down the boulevard. Also one quart of fluild in the convertor before you put it on the input shaft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts