Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I've been browsing forums all day long and I can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

2009 Canyon 2.9L 4cy Manual

I started getting the ABS and Stabilty Trak light a few weeks ago. I would turn the truck off, turn it back on, and it would go away. It didn't bother me until this morning. I was driving to work and after driving for about 30 mins, all of my gauges shut off and my radio.

I still have all exteror lights working, as well as the dome light and cigarret lighter. Truck intermittently starts. When it doesn't start, I will turn the key. No crank or clicks, just solid check engine light.

I disabled Passlock over a year ago. I have HIDs that are wired directly to the battery via a wiring harness (still work and no flickering). I have a pioneer head unit. All modifications to the truck were done over two years ago and this problem is basically all the sudden.

Also, I can sit in the truck with no key in the ignition and the truck is off. I can actually turn the AC on. The fan will run, but the compressor won't kick on to cool the air.

I replaced the battery and the alternator is putting out 13.7v. I've checked the fuses and everything checks out good. Also, I want to add that sometimes when it does start, everything will work fine for about 2 mins and then I lose gauges and radio so this leads me to believe its not a fuse since it still works half the time.

The dealer is telling me ignition switch and possibly pcm or bcm. Sounds to me like they're just throwing parts at it to try to fix the problem. I want to avoid the dealership as muich as possible.

What do you guys think? PCM/BCM??

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Sure the battery cables are good ...Clean and tight....Happened to one at SESM.... Cleaned them and put them back on and he was ready to go... Just a thought.
Good luck with the fix !!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cables are clean and nice and tight. The truck only has 56,000 miles on it. I'm leaning towards the bCm right now. Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check your TBC fuse. If its blown, similar things happen. Here's a video(not mine):

If that doesn't work, check your main fuse, and your grounds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks brother. Thats exacty what its like except my headlights dome lights all work. Ill have to try it out tomorrow. Had to leave the truck in the parking lot at work tonight. Any chance you know what size fuse it is and where it's located?

I didnt think it would be a fuse because I had the problem , it fixed itself but then sent back. And you know fuses either work or they don't!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read somewhere about failure of the gm01 modules from axxess causing similar problems. Ripped out my radio and the axxess Module I have for the chimes and all. Truck started up but after 10 seconds the dash went black again. Still have all exterior lights turn signals interior dimmer and windshield wipers. Still have to check the fuse but I don't see how it would start this time if the fuse is blown.

Ruling out the battery alternator and after market radio I'm still not sure what it is.

Anyone know the connection between the dash cluster, radio, and intermittent starting ?

Sorry I'm posting a lot but I'm trying to post my progress hoping others chime in.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Did I read correctly that you can for no reason, with no key, enable the HVAC fan?

As an initial check for the problems you have described, have you cleaned the 2 ground blocks?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha yes, you did read that correctly. Talk about some weird stuff right? Where are the two ground blocks located?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
If you still have the OEM radio, try connecting it and see what happens. The radio is one of the components on the Serial Data Circuit and all of the components like to be "holding hands". The adapter used for aftermarket radios keeps the Serial Data circuit alive. The BCM uses the Serial Data Bus to control instrument panel readings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have the stock radio, but if I just had nothing plugged in at all, like no radio, wouldn't that suffice to rule out the aftermarket radio module?

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I don't have the stock radio, but if I just had nothing plugged in at all, like no radio, wouldn't that suffice to rule out the aftermarket radio module?
You may have to install the stock radio back in place and reset all the faults with a GM Tech-2 scanner.

All the bus line communication goes through the radio as a central hub point so if one or more of your control modules has a fault it might cause them to shut down individual items as a protection feature.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The Serial Data Bus is comprised of a number of modules connected together. If one of the modules is disconnected from the Bus, it opens the circuit and can affect the operation of the other modules. The radio was one of the modules on the Serial Data Bus. You substituted the radio Serial Data function with an adapter. Now you have removed the adapter and that leaves the Serial Data Circuit with an "open". The fact that the engine now starts seems to point to the Axxess as the problem, but with the "open" in the Bus, the BCM may not be functioning properly, and the BCM controls the instrument panel signals over......wait for it.....the Serial Data Bus.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It just happened to start that one time. After I shut it off, it wouldn't start again and I got the TBC Fuse symptoms (turn key, nothing happens except for the CEL illuminating). This is what led me to believe it wasn't the radio because it still did the same thing. I see what you mean by the open circuit though...

What about using a different adapter for the radio? Unfortunately I don't have a stock radio laying around...

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
You commented previously about GMOS 01 as your chimes module. Is that for sure the model, and not one by Schosche? Scosche tends to cause problems. GMOS and GMRC models are usually stable (usually).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Checked all the fuses and grounds tonight. Unplugged the battery and touched the two cables together. I found part of a wire that was rubbing on the metal tab mount down by the BCM was exposed. I taped it up and Plugged GMOS-01 module back in, but not the radio. Started up and was running good but I had an ABS light. Once I plugged my scanner in to read the code, dash went black, and lost gauges. I was able to pull the u1301 code, which tells me all the modules aren't communicating. But the truck ran fine.

I shut the truck off and tried to restart. Fuel pump kicks in, but as I turn the ignition to start, nothing but solid CEL. I disconnected the battery again, hooked it back up and the truck started up. But a min later I lost gauges, etc. I am pretty sure what is happening is I start the truck after resetting the bcm and then it goes into protection mode...which leads to my dash going out with the radio and not being able to start the truck.

I've narrowed it down to the GMOS-01 module, bcm, or pcm. I'm going to take it to a alarm and stereo shop on base tomorrow so I can get a second opinion. I'm sure If i took it to the dealer they would give me a bunch of crap and probably like 2 grand later, I would have a truck that still doesn't operate correctly.

I'll keep the thread updated on my progress for any others who end up having similar issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For anyone who has similar issues, it was my Compustar aftermarket alarm. Something was shorting out from moisture. I disconnected it, reset the bcm over night, and haven't had an issue since.

--I completely forgot to even mention from the beginning that I had an alarm. Thanks for all the help anyways guys!

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Glad you found and stomped the gremlin !!! LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts