Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they both look good so it looks like if i pull a leaf out i will still have lots of travel and i have to notch the box floor

·
Registered
271 Posts
i know this is old, but i have never heard of the entire pack snapping when you pull a leaf....Monoleaf is another story all together

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
i know this is old, but i have never heard of the entire pack snapping when you pull a leaf....Monoleaf is another story all together
i've never seen a pack snap either, lol, but i've seen the MAIN leaf snap at the spring eyelet, mine leafs are flat now so i wouldnt think pulling the helper leaf would be safe.

·
Registered
271 Posts
well i just pulled my second longest leaf. So i still have the main and the small helper and the skinnier middle one. I don't think itll be a problem.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
well i just pulled my second longest leaf. So i still have the main and the small helper and the skinnier middle one. I don't think itll be a problem.
if its laying on the overload leaf its a timebomb. it takes time for them to break but you can only bend metal so much before it breaks. everytime your suspension compresses your overload leaf is putting pressure on a weak point of the main leaf so eventually it will break.

·
Registered
271 Posts
if its laying on the overload leaf its a timebomb. it takes time for them to break but you can only bend metal so much before it breaks. everytime your suspension compresses your overload leaf is putting pressure on a weak point of the main leaf so eventually it will break.

so you're saying the three leaf pack will break because it's missing the second longest??

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
so you're saying the three leaf pack will break because it's missing the second longest??
are you serious???

you realize the individual leafs only connect at the center pin right. and the actual MAIN leaf is ALL that bolts to the truck. thats why the rest are helper leafs. the leaf pack cant break, but the MAIN leaf will snap at the eyelet (this is the part that bolts to the truck)

·
Registered
271 Posts
ok, i am fully aware of how the leafs go together.

But apparantley i dont know what it is you are trying to explain. Are you saying the leaf will break at the shackle??? or at the center part where the axle sits??

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
none of the above. it breaks at the eyelet that attaches to the spring hanger (the front leaf mount). somewhere between the end of the overload spring and the eyelet because all the weight when braking is put on that point. its like taking a long pice of steel and flexing it across a short one, the point where it flexes gets weak.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i've never heard that from taking one leaf out. i always have been told if you're going to remove one make it the second longest int he pack.

Ill keep it in mind. thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts