Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the champaign colored rado with the chrome grille and I have black ss mirrors and was wanting to paint match them with the oem colors they sell at my local parts store has anyone tried that and how did it turn out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
By champagne I guess you're meaning silver birch? The colormatch that Oriellys, advance, and autozone sell is good quality. It's made by Duplicolor and is about $7-$8 a can if I remember right. All your paint is in the prep really and taking your time. I'm doing my interior pieces right now and they're turning out perfect like they were stock

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Yes that color and exact same paint I was looking at and I plan on sanding them real well and taking my time to lay even coats then go back and clear coat, do you think primer would be a good idea?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

YES!!! Take it from me... I painted my gauge dash piece 3 times before I primed it. Everytime I sprayed it the paint would begin to crack. Use a adhesion promoter ( sounds like bull but it works), a good primer, and then several light coats of paint. Then clear if that's what your going for. I wetsanded mine and cleared them so they came out perfect like body paint

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
or call an autopaint store and have your exact paint code mixed into a rattle can and spray the actual paint for your truck on whatver you want.

it costs about $30 bucks for a can, but its the exact correct auto paint, and not some cheesy model paint that will fade in 6 months..

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Dupli Color has worked for me everytime... Good luck with your project !!!

·
Youngen!
6,515 Posts

You really think this is "spot on"? :shrug:
:lmao:

dustin our color is a bitch and a half to match correctly. you can probably get away with it on your mirrors but for a gas door or handles or a grill i would have a shop do it. a spray can just dosnt do the same as actual paint.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recently painted a set of fender flares with duplicolor oem white paint, I, very happy with the color but will need to do a couple more coats of white also some clear coat.

I was told to wetsand and buff it to make it "pop" like the rest of the truck but I need some more paint on them anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recently painted a set of fender flares with duplicolor oem white paint, I, very happy with the color but will need to do a couple more coats of white also some clear coat.

I was told to wetsand and buff it to make it "pop" like the rest of the truck but I need some more paint on them anyways.
This happens a lot when I upload pictures from my iPhone/iPad it flips the pictures upside down!!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Prep work is a must. Primer is a must. Plus you wanna make sure you spray out a let down panel as well. When matching you wanna use the same light from the first look. To your let down. To your final spray out. I notice this is a little dated by now but just words of advice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts