Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install 6 off road lights, 4 flood and 2 spot. Two if the floods will replace the factory fog lights, the other four will need their own switch. My question is can I wire them without a relay. They are 18watts a piece, and I have 35amp switch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why wouldn't you want to use a relay? It's super easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would go ahead and wire the relay up for safety I'm not just saying it because people say it's safe it go to Nashville Auto Diesel College for Autobody and Collision Repair I've had electrical it really doesn't matter much I've done them both ways and if you do it correctly you don't need the relay but for the added protection it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it and set your truck on fire because you overload the circuit. With that big if a load the relay will allow it to be operated at a much lower amount of current and voltage as opposed to direct wiring them.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
Well, it looks like based on your info you'll be pulling approximately 9 amps to power the lights. While it will be safer to run this kind of amperage through a relay and not run it in and out of teh cab it's not absolutely necessary. If it was a lot more, say in the 20-25 amp range, my answer would be run the relay without a doubt.

Ultimately, it's your truck. If you want that kind of power running around under your dash (and through a switch near your body) go for it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you have factory fogs, and are replacing them with 1 of the pairs of LEDs, you do not need to run a relay. The extra 2 pairs will pull 6 amps, and I would run a relay, but have seen people just put an inline fuse (say 7.5A or maybe a 10A in this situation) and have had no issues.

Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts