Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All kinds of how-to's on the site, but here and over on that other site there is no easy to find oil change info/how-to.

Just bought a pan for the waste oil and i've got my oil and filter ready to go... just want something to look over so I know what exactly where to find the drain plug and if anyone has any tips to make the change easy (particularly on a LOWERED truck) i'd appreciate that to.

So lets see what you guys got :355:

·
Registered
24 Posts
drain plug is right on the back of the oil pan, about halfway to the back on your regular cab, it's really the only plug that's there.

As far as tips go, I'd raise from the middle and throw some blocks in front of the front tires, make sure you have a couple of jack stands to work with. Then, after you've got it in the air, position the waste pan with about 1/3 behind the plug and 2/3 ahead; it's going to flow more to the front, but as it empties, the trickle will go all kinds of directions.

For the filter part, there's really no trick that I have, just take it off (with the pan beneath) and tilt it up as you bring it off the block, remember there's a little catch all beneath the filter that funnels the excess oil down the frame. :)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard about filling the filter with oil before hand...

and also putting oil on the filter gasket...

We should use this thread to make a collaboration and someone can throw togeather 1 big tutorial with pics and everything :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ah...yeah, my Dad taught me all that when I was a little kid...it really doesn't matter as long as you follow the basic principles...but yeah, next time I change mine, I'll take pics...or, if someone else wants to, post up!

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
If I changed the oil on your truck in my driveway at home?

I would use my 2 or 3 ton jack and lift the front end enough for me to slide under to the drain plug and filter, jack stands to hold the truck up. OR those ramps you drive onto to "get it up".

Get a creeper or large piece of cardboard to lay on and allow you to move around on the ground without getting all dirty dirty.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so here's the process i'll use... any tips or suggestions on different ways please feel free to add them in.

1) Get oil, filter, waste oil container, jack, and jackstands
2) Park truck on level surface and have the truck @ running temp so the oil drains quicker
3) Jack up the front of the truck and place the stands
4) Place waste oil container underneath drain plug location
5) Remove oil drain plug (be prepared for rush of hot oil)
6) Allow oil to drain completly into the waste container
7) When oil is completly drained out replace the drain plug and gasket and switch to the other side of the motor
8) Place the waste oil container underneath the old filter and remove the filter
9) Check for the old filters gasket being stuck on motor and remove if nessecary.
10) Put a small amount of oil on the new filters gasket
11) Fill the new filter 3/4 full of oil and install carefully until tight
12) Go topside and remove the oil fill cap
13) Pour in 6 quarts of oil using funnel to prevent spillage, replace the oil fill cap
14) Check for leaks underneath before starting the truck
15) Start truck and check for leaks once more once the system is pressurized, then turn off the truck and check the dipstick for level.

Finished.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Looks good.

Only thing I would add is to warn people that the oil will shoot so far to the driver's side tire that it will nearly hit it. So start the waste container positioned way out there and then slowly bring it back as the oil oil level reduces.

And also warn them to only hand tighten the filter.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'd actually recommend having the oil cool. It sucks like you wouldn't believe when that drain plug comes out and soaks your hand in hot oil.

Also - pull the oil fill cap before you drain - helps to drain faster.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So no real diff between hot and cold oil? It still all drains out even when "cold"? (it's like 90 out here) :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
The filter is going to use about .5 qts.. So you will only be pouring in 5.5 qts up top in the oil fill.

I loosen the drain plug with my 6 point socket and then the rest is done by hand. As I get to the point where a small drip comes out the bottom of the drain plug, I apply pressure to the drain plug until I know it is ready to be pulled. Then a quick pull out (heh heh) and very little oil gets on my hand. I always have a rag with me for this operation.

I always do a 15 minute drive before changing my oil. 1. so it drains quicker. 2. to get an accurate oil sample, I need to do this.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah my oils drainin right now... was barely warm and its goin sloooooooooow my next one i'll keep it warm i think.

The oil didnt shoot out as much as i thought but i didnt get any one the floor :lol:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just re-looked and now its dribbling... i'll give it another couple mins then im pluggin it back up and movin over for the filter :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
plugs back in... filters off... i like that little drain mechanisim for the filter :)

Next placing the 3/4 filled filter with lubed gasket and goin topside for the fill :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well finished up.... cleaned up everything, filled the oil, sealed it, started and everythings good :)

Thanks for the tips guys...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yea, See on the z71's its harder with the skidplate because you have to remove that to get your hand on the filter.... since I installed the bullbar, and I did not like how small westin's skid plate is, I managed to install the stock skidplate again, with much force... I think I will need to dremmel it down to fit so the next time I change my oil, I can remove it with out killing my self....

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah i couldnt believe how perfect the torque was on both the drain plug and filter. Shows my dealership was doing a good job changing my oil for me... but now that im not as busy i'll be doing my own ;)

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I always poke a hole in my filter to drain it before removing it as well. If I don't it makes a huge mess underneath.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always poke a hole in my filter to drain it before removing it as well. If I don't it makes a huge mess underneath.
Interesting... but I think that little drain thing mounted on the crossmember does a sufficent job. I just went at it with a rag later to get the excess off... but that may be a new option :)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
For the filter, I just slowly unscrew it letting the oil drain down the catcher and into then into the waste container.

Once I see most has drained down, I'll completely unscrew it to keep from making a giant mess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts