Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon SLE1
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea how long I can drive safely after oil change light come on? Can’t change it for a couple days and still gotta got to work and stuff.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Any idea how long I can drive safely after oil change light come on? Can’t change it for a couple days and still gotta got to work and stuff.
Try to get it done within a couple hundred miles. It's not a "OMG, you have to stop your life and do it right now!" kind of thing. That is especially true if you run a full synthetic, which is better than the manufacturers spec.

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon SLE1
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
main reason I ask is I plan on doing it tomorrow but I have a 80 mile commute to work and it would be 2 round trips since my light came on.

·
Registered
212 Posts
main reason I ask is I plan on doing it tomorrow but I have a 80 mile commute to work and it would be 2 round trips since my light came on.
You will be fine. A bit over 300 highway miles since the light is no big deal. I think it comes on between 7 and 10% remaining oil life per the OLM calculation.

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon SLE1
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried checking it but the dipstick is hard to read. Couldn’t get anything with it sitting so I started it and was able to get something. Not sure why.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You should be able to see the oil level on the dipstick with the engine off. The oil drains back to the pan when the engine shuts down and the level in the pan comes up onto the dipstick. If you’re only seeing oil on the dipstick while the engine is running, you’re seeing what is being slung out of the crank and rod bearing fits. You could be running very low on oil. Pour a quart in and check it again.

Reactions: 442_Mike

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon SLE1
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s exactly what I thought. But my truck is parked on a slight hill so I’m thinking that could be why too. Not sure exactly sure tho.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
My local dealer told me the OLM system is based on an algorithm using the number of times the truck is started and the typical run time after each start. It does not actually analyze the oil. I do not go by the OLM either, don't trust it. I do trust my record keeping and the oil/filter I use.

Your issue, Jaustin73a, sounds like low oil based on your description. I concur with Keyav8r.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I turn off the oil change light and keep a track myself. Use a good quality oil and filter you should be good for 5K mileas

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon SLE1
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was low. Not sure how tho cause it’s not leaking and doesn’t seem to be burning oil. At least not enough to smoke or anything. Truck seems to run fine.

·
Registered
2006 GMC Canyon
43 Posts
I get mine changed every 3-4K miles. Anything after that and oil starts magically disappearing...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Make sure it’s not low. Add if room. It helps. I never wait till light comes on. It’s a crude system that doesn’t take dust in to account.
Full synthetic every 6 months /6000. Then it’s not a surprise. Keep topped off and don’t use that change light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, mainly you have to change it as fast as possible, in case you really need to change it. In case you won't be able to change it really soon, the car won't get broken immediately, however the sooner you do it, the better it is for your car's engine. However, I am facing a little issue right now. I own a 2015 Silverado, I am getting the oil change notice way too often. Like 2000 miles after the change it notifies me that I have to change it again. I thought that it was a problem from the electronic board. However someone said that I had to change the oil, as the one I was using, wasn't good enough for my engine. I was thinking between mobil 1 and supertech. I read this article 🥇Super Tech vs Mobil1 ★ December 2020 - UPDATED Real Comparison, and I decided that mobil 1 is a better choice. What do you guys think, which is the best?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Well, mainly you have to change it as fast as possible, in case you really need to change it. In case you won't be able to change it really soon, the car won't get broken immediately, however the sooner you do it, the better it is for your car's engine.
The oil change reminder means nothing. Change oil and filter with quality stuff every 5 to 7 thousand miles and you will be fine. I like Napa oil filters and full synthetic Penzoil, personally I like the 0 w 40 oil.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Just as reinforcement to the above - have a 2010 w/95,000 mi. Light has come on three times.
I replace filter & oil (full syn) every 5000-6000 mi.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, while we are on the discussion of oil changes. i have also regularly changeed mine no matter whether the light came on or not. I used to use strictly 5W30 dino oil with Z-max additive for a long time. My truck has now reached 272,400 an I keep getting the nagging "low oil pressure light"....changed the sender but only stayed away for a while. I then began getting the ECAS check engine light so I changed the solenoid but keeps coming back. At the suggestion of a really good mechanic I know I changed the oil with 15W40 (due to such high mileage) and Lucas hi-mileage stabilizer...no more "low oil pressure light" but the ECAS code keeps coming back. Anyone think the thicker oil is causing a situation with the exhaust cam actuator?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everything depends on the car, because my mom had a Saab which went 10k more miles with bad oil inside. In Chevy chase I think that you need to change it as soon as possible, because only in such way you will make your engine live longer. But if you don't have any possibilities to change the oil, then try to drive less in order to save the engine. I can suggest you to read more on completecar.ca, they have much more info than I can give you. So you can read more about oil and how much a Chevy can live with bad oil inside.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts