Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to start changing the oil at home instead of paying a garage. The only issue I am wondering about is the filter. I have an 07 4wd 3.7 and the filter looks like it might be hard to get at with a regulare filter wrench. Am I wrong? Is it pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's not as easy as taking the filter off a small block V8 but not impossible . I know the guy that does my service has it off in seconds , must be either repetition and proper tool or a hand grip like a vise . Lol .
My truck is a 4X4 also and he removes nothing .

·
Registered
174 Posts
My my, someone afraid to take off their oil filter.
I have changed perhaps thousands.
Just do it, where there is a will, there is a way.
15 minute job to change Colorado oil, filter, reset and get back in the house.
Geez...😑

·
Registered
266 Posts
You do not need to remove the plastic skid plate. A short handle band wrench is what I use. You will notice that there is a little drain cup on top of the cross member that is intended to direct the spilled oil. Useless.
What I do is this: I cover the crossmember with a shopping bag, so it will take the brunt of the dripping oil when you remove the filter. Once the old filter is off and draining in the catch pan, dont dawdle getting the filter flange wiped down and the new filter on there. I don't think it ever actually stops dripping a little bit. LOL Just get the new filter in place so you can begin clean up.

Its not that bad, but the first time is messier than you will expect. Put cardboard down on the floor before you get started.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes mine is 4WD. I use a set of filter adapters that fit a standard socket wrench. Nothing needs to be removed from the car to access it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My my, someone afraid to take off their oil filter.
I have changed perhaps thousands.
Just do it, where there is a will, there is a way.
15 minute job to change Colorado oil, filter, reset and get back in the house.
Geez...😑
If it's too much trouble to give an answer why do you bother? I was looking for any tips since the filter is up in a jungle of sway bar , tranny cooling lines, cross member and plastic bash plate.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You do not need to remove the plastic skid plate. A short handle band wrench is what I use. You will notice that there is a little drain cup on top of the cross member that is intended to direct the spilled oil. Useless.
What I do is this: I cover the crossmember with a shopping bag, so it will take the brunt of the dripping oil when you remove the filter. Once the old filter is off and draining in the catch pan, dont dawdle getting the filter flange wiped down and the new filter on there. I don't think it ever actually stops dripping a little bit. LOL Just get the new filter in place so you can begin clean up.

Its not that bad, but the first time is messier than you will expect. Put cardboard down on the floor before you get started.
Thanks Dragon, I'll take the bash plate off then it looks like I won't be scraping my fore arms fighting it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes mine is 4WD. I use a set of filter adapters that fit a standard socket wrench. Nothing needs to be removed from the car to access it.
Thanks, all I have is a vice grip looking tool for oil filters and the handle is long but without the bash plate in the way should be no problem.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The plate is just 4 bolts, so it's not much trouble to remove and it will give you easier access for your first go- round. You have options for the tool as well. Like I said , I use a band wrench, others have mentioned the cup style adapter that will work fine too. Only thing I don't like about the gripper style is you have to be careful to not deform the new filter when installing. I have all 3 in the tool box, so it comes down to what works best for you.
Just be patient, wear latex gloves, and If you are prepared to make a mess you won't be disappointed. Do not wear your favorite shirt.
The next time will be way easier!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it's too much trouble to give an answer why do you bother? I was looking for any tips since the filter is up in a jungle of sway bar , tranny cooling lines, cross member and plastic bash plate.
Its guys like this that make the rest of us seem very nice, pleasant and helpful!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its guys like this that make the rest of us seem very nice, pleasant and helpful!
You are talking about yourself, ALL the other guys WERE pleasant and helpful, you on the other hand tried to make me sound stupid and a waste of your precious time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The plate is just 4 bolts, so it's not much trouble to remove and it will give you easier access for your first go- round. You have options for the tool as well. Like I said , I use a band wrench, others have mentioned the cup style adapter that will work fine too. Only thing I don't like about the gripper style is you have to be careful to not deform the new filter when installing. I have all 3 in the tool box, so it comes down to what works best for you.
Just be patient, wear latex gloves, and If you are prepared to make a mess you won't be disappointed. Do not wear your favorite shirt.
The next time will be way easier!
Looking at it again I think the cup with a ratchet is the way to go,, Thanks, I'll get one

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've decided to start changing the oil at home instead of paying a garage. The only issue I am wondering about is the filter. I have an 07 4wd 3.7 and the filter looks like it might be hard to get at with a regulare filter wrench. Am I wrong? Is it pretty straight forward?
you are not a mechanic an dyou have not proper kit of vehicle maintenance you should go to the workshop for any problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
And you sound like you didn't make it past elementary school. I'll do as I please fool
I'm not calling you fool, I don't understand, I'm saying you can't check the car with all the equipment, you need to go to the mechanic and workshop, at the end when you can't work properly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The easiest job to do on any car is to change the oil.
If you don't know how to change the oil & filter-Take it somewhere.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The easiest job to do on any car is to change the oil.
If you don't know how to change the oil & filter-Take it somewhere.
Funny how some people like to use opportunities like this to show how superior they are. If you don't have any short cuts why do you bother commenting? Because you can now show how smart you are? I'm 68 and a retired carpenter that can do most repairs on the house and motorcycle and truck, but have never felt the need to do the oil change on this truck since owning it and was surprised the oil filter looked like it was so hard to get at. Was wondering if maybe the bash plate came off to make it easier or something. I didn't call you to ask your advice big shot and wasn't talking to you

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like you need a narrow band type oil filter wrench after using a half box of tissues.
If you are a plumber and can swap out a toilet, replace a faucet, and replace a hot water heater but can't get an oil filter off, just go ahead and use the whole box of tissues and find someone to do the oil and filter change for you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts