Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to day leaving school the change oil message came on, i was a little shocked cuz i thought i didnt have it having such a low modle truck and because i changes it like 3 weeks ago.

does it go by time or can it actualy tell what condition the oil is in. i did it myself at 8829 miles (didnt reset anything) and used strait 30 wieght. but thought that was to heavy so at 14034 miles i changes to 10w-30. and right know im at 14400 miles.

i know this has been discused before but i cant find it. so thanks for any help in advance.

...buy the way, if it matters:
2006 Z85 2wd
2.8 I4 with some extras
single cab 3.43 rear

·
Registered
845 Posts
Don't trust it. 3 month / 3000 miles
im w/ ZNA 3 months or 3000 miles thats what i do. i use mobil 1 syn oil 5w30 since its first oil change. thats the same we put in all of our corvettes c6's and z06's. dont be lazy it could cost you a motor later on down the line. you might not be under warranty then. you dont wanna know the cost of your engine plus the labor. not very nice numbers.

·
Registered
845 Posts
also idk if anybody else notices it or if its just in my head. when i get close to the 3000K i feel my engines performance decrease. when i change the oil, its feels completely different, performance increases! am i crazy?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
i run the same oil set up as you... mobile 1 every 3000, and i use my truck daily for work so i put A LOT of miles on it. oil change about every 7-8 weeks :mav:

but i reset the oil life everytime just to play it safe :shrug:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Oil life monitering system is crap and innaccurate. Mines came on MAYBE 5 times and i've got 88k on the clock.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
also idk if anybody else notices it or if its just in my head. when i get close to the 3000K i feel my engines performance decrease. when i change the oil, its feels completely different, performance increases! am i crazy?
I was thinking the same thing....so guess not! I used to use the castrol synt, but recently switched to royal purple the past few changes.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
yeah the oil sensor thing is shit. I reset it my first oil change at 11k miles.. i am now at 27k and it hasn't gone off since. I still change the oil every 3k miles.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I was thinking the same thing....so guess not! I used to use the castrol synt, but recently switched to royal purple the past few changes.
hows that royal purple?

i run the same oil set up as you... mobile 1 every 3000, and i use my truck daily for work so i put A LOT of miles on it. oil change about every 7-8 weeks :mav:

but i reset the oil life everytime just to play it safe :shrug:

im changing mine about every 6-8 weeks too :disgust:

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
hows that royal purple?

im changing mine about every 6-8 weeks too :disgust:
Works pretty good. Seems the same as the castrol...cept when you put it in, its purple :). And when I drove my truck everday i drove so much I had to change the oil almost monthly. Sucks huh.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Works pretty good. Seems the same as the castrol...cept when you put it in, its purple :). And when I drove my truck everday i drove so much I had to change the oil almost monthly. Sucks huh.
sucks the big one.

i am 500 miles away from my next oil change... last one was 3 weeks ago eaxctly today!!! :dawg:

:shootme:
wow, i hope its all that pussy your getting that has you driving all around town bro ;)! hahaha :lol:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Royal Purple is really great. I just switched over from Mobil 1 on my last change. It is the only full synthetic I can find in stores, and it costs the same as mobil 1 here.

On Mobil you can run at least 5kmiles safely. I ran 7k on all my changes and the oil always had more life left in it.

I always reset my Oil Life Monitor.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm running the Amsoil system 2000 in mine and LOVE it. I put a shit ton of miles on mine so it really pays for itself.

OBTW I went 25,000 miles on the oil prior to changing it. All you have to do is replace filters at every 3,000 and top it off. The oil still was a brownish color not like the black you would've thought it to be. They say you could go 36,000 between changes but I'll stick to the 25,000.

But ya I'm at 40+ and only had it come on once!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm running the Amsoil system 2000 in mine and LOVE it. I put a shit ton of miles on mine so it really pays for itself.

OBTW I went 25,000 miles on the oil prior to changing it. All you have to do is replace filters at every 3,000 and top it off. The oil still was a brownish color not like the black you would've thought it to be. They say you could go 36,000 between changes but I'll stick to the 25,000.

But ya I'm at 40+ and only had it come on once!!
ehhh idk about 25k nor 36k:shrug:. ill would still change it every 3k miles, ESPECIALLY if you live in extreme cold/hot climates. dont ask me why just seems logical to me.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well my friend that is a distributer (sp) had his oil from his SRT-10 professionally tested after 30K and and the company that did his was amazed!! They said the viscosity had no breakdown what so ever. Now mind you he runs his shit like he stole it every day. He's more than once smoked the shit of me with the melting of his tires. So I know that it's good for the aplication in which I use it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts